BB Gun Sports/Academics Pin

In regards to the BB Gun Sports/Academics Pin and the "60 credits" being part of the requirements. What is the "60 credits" and how is it calculated? Our councils Range Master Training failed to mention anything about the achievements available to our Cub Scouts.

Thanks, Mary

I'm still new to Scouting as a whole and have even less knowledge of the CS side( I'm a SM on the BS :) side) but I'm learning that BSA publishes it's material so it can change portions all related to one part of an activity(like points) without doing revisions to the whole thing.

First, my rangemaster course didn't cover it either.

Second, I can't find it in the Webelos Handbook either.

I think the answer may be in the "Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide". Had you already checked there?

If it's not there you can rest assured that it's in a reference the Council expects the Pack Leader to have availible.

Have a great Scouting day!

The credits were listed more completely in the old requirements (pre-2003), which you can find here:

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/sports/old/BBgun.asp

However, I don't see the explanation of how they are awarded currently. The new requirements are here:

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/sports/BBgun.asp

I will dig out my copy of the Shooting sports guide and see if a better explanation exists.

Thanks for the reference on the old point system infoscouter! :)

I now know that while I've been teaching fundamentals, I've not been given enough range time with any group or the correct targets to get the shooting points for anyone. :(

Will work on correcting these issues.

Unless you have a 4 or 5 day long day camp, I don't know how it could be earned in that setting. The only kids I know who have earned either the archey or BB gun pins were Scouts who attend a resident camp or a special shooting sports event.

We have a week long day camp but each cub only gets appx three total hours instruction and range time. We usually have two 45 minute sessions and 3 30 minute sessions because of specials removing chunks of time from certain days. This is not sufficient to gain enough proficiency for the pin. We shoot the daisy bb gun 15' target rather than the easier nra one. If we are inclined we may shoot the NSSA patch target as well. We do class only Monday and then one maybe at most two five round shoots on Tues. Wed. and Thurs then Friday we just do fun shoot as all scores must be compiled and into advancements Thursday evening. There are plenty of awards available Belt loops, NRA pins, Daisy pins, NSSA patches. We did the NRA airgun safety program this year for a change from the BSA program. They are all very good with specific things we want the cubs to all take home at the end of the week. We also recruit for a shooting team and I suppose those boys could ear a pin if so inclined but they seem to drift more towards competitive endeavors. Shooting Daisy targets as we do would preclude issuing pins as they are much smaller than the specified targets. The other rather wishful requirement is that the cub scouts adjust sights. All our bb guns and 22 rifles are equipped with match sights and we do everything in our power to keep the cubs and boy scouts from messing with them.