Anyone ever heard the term "loyals" when referring to cub scouts? I saw a message floating around our district communication board(original source was a den leader) referring to "Webelos and Loyals" working on their activity badges. So, from this, I gather that the term "loyals" is being used to differentiate between Webelos I and II, but I'm not sure which is supposed to be which. Not that it matters, since they were working on the same badges. I know that officially a Webelos scout is a Webelos scout and that common usage refers to I & II, to distinguish between 4th graders and 5th graders. But I saw this and wondered if maybe this leader was coming from some other region of the country where they use a different term, I thought it was kind of strange that I'd never heard it before online or anywhere else.

Nope. Never heard of it, never used it.

It may be some reference to the L in WEBELOS, which stands for Loyal. The WEBELOS acronym is for Webelos both I and II. I know of no other distiction between the two.

Just as a side note. Webelos is always used with the S on the end, whether you are talking about all Webelos scouts, one Webelos scout, or the Webelos den. Webelos is not plural. Just a trivial pet peeve of mine. Your usage, Scouting Mom, is correct.

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

I've never heard it either - wonder if maybe the person using it had heard something somewhere about the old "lions" program (which I believe used to follow webelos?) and mistook it? Otherwise it must be a regional or in-group thing. It isn't promoted by the official BSA, that's for sure.

Yah, Lions was what it was back in the dark ages, eh? The progression was

Wolf

e

Bear

e

Lion

o

Scout

After they did away with Lion, when asked what a Webelos was, yeh often heard

We 'll

Be

Lo yal

S couts

That's the only place I've heard "Loyal" is in the acronym. Some of the historians will probably have more to add.