Webelos Flag Ceremony

My Webelos I's are both (yes, just the two) getting ready to plan their flag ceremonies. First up for November is my shyest Web. His reasoning for taking the first month? "Might as well get it out of the way first". Fair enough, can't blame him there.

He knows he has to plan it, but sometimes a bit of guidance is needed. I'm third in line to provide help - I figure he should try to come up w/ something of his own first, go to his DC second and me as a last resort.

How have you handled the "plan a flag ceremony" in your groups? He will be doing this at the Pack level (we are small enough to have that luxury). Any suggestions for a ceremony that is simple but meaningful? I was thinking (if needed, otherwise for a ceremony sometime in the future) that darkening the room, with a simple spotlight on the US flag, accompanied by a reading of "Face the Flag my son" would be very nice. Like I said, I have considered using that later in the Scout year (maybe for Blue & Gold) if neither Web needs to borrow the suggestion sooner.

YiS

Michelle

Granted our situations are different, as we have 8 Web 1's. In our case, the boys "elect" a denner for the upcoming month. At this rate, they will all have been denner by Feb/Mar time-frame. As denner, they have 2 main "jobs" - an opening activity and a simple flag ceremony.

For the flag ceremony, here's some of what we've already had:

Denner held the flag, boys stood in horseshoe around the flag, each in turn stepped forward, gave BS salute, then stepped back. When all had saluted, the denner called for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Denner had the boys form 2 lines facing each, he walked in carrying the flag, turned around at the end, then called for the Pledge.

DL and denner's mom held up a large wall flag behind the denner while he "signed" to the Lee Greenwood song "God Bless the USA."

Denner read a patriotic poem with lights turned down, then led the Pledge.

Denner had the group outside at the end of our meeting, then led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag that's on the moon - they always get a kick out of that! Wait until you have a full or nearly-full moon for best effect :-)

A couple of weeks before their first den meeting, I email my congratulations to them on being chosen denner and include a couple of safe websites they might visit to get ideas for flag ceremonies and opening activities.

I would offer that hosting his first flag ceremony in front of the whole Pack might intimidate even the bravest of Webelos. A den flag ceremony in front of just his den-mate, DL, and such might help calm those jitters, and it satisfies the Badge requirements. I'm sure he's going to do just fine!

clyde

Thanks for the ideas Clyde. I appreciate the suggestions.

Presenting the flags in front of the "whole" Pack sounds more intimidating than it is...our whole Pack is only 13 boys (including the two Webelos). Since all of our Dens meet at the same time for den meetings (we use different rooms at the church hall), doing flags at a den meeting amounts to the same thing.

I know he will do fine, he knows I won't ask him to do something he isn't ready to do. If he gets a case of stage fright he knows he can postpone it a month.

YiS

Michelle