Where do dens meet?

Beaver, We recently had a discussion with our CO and district exec. about the meeting space requirement.(CO has never had an appropriate space for us to use, but they've chartered this troop for over 60 years and want to continue). The DE indicated that this meeting space requirement only means that the CO is supposed to either a) physically provide a space or b) help the unit locate a space. The DE said this does not mean the space provided has to be extraordinarily well suited to the scout unit, nor does it mean the CO has to do the leg work for the unit in terms of finding a meeting place. This is no doubt a minimalist interpretation but given that many CO's seem to be pretty "hands off" (as ours is) I'm guessing it isn't an uncommon interpretation.

Under this view, the church CO that mbscoutmom is dealing with has technically met its obligation by providing a space. So in terms of pushing this issue w/ the CO, it might be a good idea to talk to the DE first and see how they interpret this policy in that particular district. It wouldn't do for a unit to request the CO step up to the plate a little more, only to have the DE follow that with a minimalist interpretation like the one above.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

mbscoutmom,

When we've met in public schools for den meetings they have generally not been excited about us using individual classrooms. We've usually requested/been assigned the gym, cafeteria, auditorium, etc..

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

My understanding is that the CO is only required to provide a place for the pack meeting, not for den meetings. It's not even technically my job as CC to find a place for den meetings. I'm just tired of dealing with facilities problems both as CC and as a den leader.

Teachers usually don't want their class rooms getting "messed up", however, in our school, the dens have used one of three rooms 1. the art room, 2. the music room, 3. the combined gym/multipurpose room/cafteria. That at least gets you into 3 different spaces, and if the pack was to split nights (say the tigers, wolves, and bears one night and the Webelos 1 and Webelos 2 the second night) that would help cut down on some of the noise. Also, another suggestion would be to have a Troop work with the Webelos 1 & 2 at their facilities. Most recruiting troops will help out webelos earning their different badges, especially if they are in need of more #'s in their own troop. The boys would be more likely to crossover into a troop that they already feel comfortable working with.