Where to find hand tools

I've been a den leader for two years now and this summer I find myself the woodshop director at Cub Scout day-camp. It is the first time doing this, so I got some what I thought were easy projects for the boys to do, only to run into questions about the conflict with the Guide lines to safe Scouting and the Webelos hand book over the use of powertools. I think I got this year worked out but would like to know were others have found hand tools especially the hand drill. I just can not find them anymore. I found a brace and bit that I bought but at $40.00 council is not going to buy many if any of them. I found egg-beater drills on the net but they are going for $25-$30 again out of reach. Will be gratefull for any help.

For the type of drills that you are talking about I would suggest pawn shops, yard sales, estate sales, and the flea market. You can pick them up for about a buck there and just oil and sharpen most of them back into condition. Just be sure to test them for usage to be safe.

The only problem with this plan is it is not one stop shopping, but, heck, you have all year. . .

Kristi

search the flea markets and garage sales, but drills are among the first to go. I've seen a lot of cheap packages at Sportsman's Guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) and Harbor Freight Tools (www.harborfreight.com)at around $20.00, but I've never asked about a Scout discount. Good luck.

Is it something that could at least be pre-drilled before the projects are started, and then tell the boys the reason they had to be pre-drilled? Just a new thought that no one else seemed to state, so thought I would. Good Luck!