New Lesson Learned

I know a lot of people post with questions, however, this time I thought I would pass on something learned...unfortunately the hard way. Although I was not in charge of B & G this year, I served on the committee (like I serve on most since I am the CC) but we definetely learned a good lesson. Since B & G takes a couple months of planning etc, Lent was never even "on our mind" when we were planning for our B & G. (As a pack we usually meet the 3rd Friday of the month, and so most of our B & G's have also been on that Friday.) This year, after the great deal we got last year on food, we went with the exact same order for the exact same amount of $ (Pasta, beef, salad, rolls, appetizers, and a couple football size pizzas also to be used as a "filler"). I never had so many parents complain about not being able to get a piece of cheese pizza in my life! At the next committee meeting we realized one of the factors involved was, it was like the 2nd friday of the start of lent. Not growing up practicing Lent, I never even had the thought cross my mind, and my B&G committee person, as someone who DOES practice it, but again w/ it so early this year, and the planning taking place so far in advance, never had the thought cross her mind. So I just hope I am saving some of you some grief, by letting you know that this came up for our pack this year. From what I understand this could be an issue ever 4-5 years, and fortunately I still should be the CC when it does come up again, and can pass the tid-bit on, but thought maybe I could be of a help to some of you as well.

Jennifer

We did however earn our 75th Anniversary Patch at B & G, and the centerpieces reflecting the 75 yrs of scouting were just awesome!