75 Anniversary Patch

I seen a photocopy of part of a catalog showing the stuff that is being sold for the Cub Scout 75 Anniversary. I was shocked to see that the patch is costing $3.95. While I admit that I didn't look at the size of the patch or how many colors or all the other things that add to the cost of a patch. But having done a little bit of patch ordering $3.95 seemed really high. I don't know how many were ordered but I'm guessing the order was a big one.

What a shame some of the money isn't going to some other good cause. While I know that we are a good cause and we always need money, I just think that if we donated the 95 cents from the sale of each patch to World Friendship Fund I would feel better.

Maybe me complaining about the cost of a patch is a sure sign that I'm on my way to becoming an old fogy ? People said that I was a pain in the neck before!!

Eamonn.

Eamonn, the prices of all the 75th Anniversary items are high, at least in my opinion. I bought myself a mug for $6.95, a pen for $5.95, the commemorative patch for $3.95, and for my very patient little sidekick while shopping, the clapper for $2. The pack isn't too happy with the prices, so families are being asked to pay for the 75th anniversary awards they earn.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit disappointed by the pricing of many of the cub scout items.

I'm CM for a pack in in the Northeast and was very excited to learn of the 75th anniversary. I started asking about celebration plans before the district people even seemed to know about them. Then I learned on the internet of the awards for pack, cubs, leaders, and family (guess they left our family pet).

Just yesterday did I notice the pricing when I looked on the CD-ROM I was finally sent last month. This is awful.

%3.95 is way too much. And the patch doesn't even use the logo with Akela, Baloo, etc. that is on everything else. And the ridiculous collection of tents, packs, knives, cups, etc.

I would proudly get some nice item, but I'm probably the only one in the pack. My own boys don't seem to get into the idea of 75 years. They have more excitement just to be building another derby car with no interest in making the 75th the theme.

We will probably make our own patches from now on. If anyone else wants to join in, we can save on the quantity.

Cardinal

Eamonn, Rest assured you are not the only one shocked by the prices of the patches. Like Cardinal, I too couldn't get information in what I thought was a timely manner. I started asking the scout shop and my district for info on the requirements for the 75th anniv. award long before I got info on it. (At the end of the previous scouting year to be exact.) I don't know about anyone else, but that was part of the excitement I used to draw on my parents and boys while I was doing our fall recruitment. I didn't receive any requirements until Nov on it! The program helps made such a big issue about earning it, and yet nothing was said about what the requirements were. (To me it would've made sense to have the requirements w/in the Program Helps instead of wasting so much more $ on additional materials to be sent out...and late into the scouting year if I might add.) I too was also surprised of all the different patches that could be earned (funny about not having one for the pet!)

I think it would be wise for BSA to remember that most Packs run on a VERY tight and next to nothing budget! I am tired of having to ask my parents to continuously chip in for this and that, esp. when this could've been something a lot more reasonably priced if by only reducing the size of the patches!