Disappointed

Although I've lurked around here reading the different posts for awhile, I've only just joined because I felt I needed to post.

I am disappointed in the leadership of my son's pack, want to do something to make it work better, but ...

I'll try to be brief. My background is 8 years as a scout, with many moons camping and recently retired from a career in the Marines. My son spent a rather uneventful year as a Tiger Cub last year and the pack has just gotten started this year. Of course he's a Wolf now, working on his Bobcat badge.

My problem is that the pack leaders, to include the den leader, are not pro-active. The last two meetings have been spent just kinda fumbling around and not much accomplished. The Committee Chairperson seems motivated, but not organized. The den leader is L-O-S-T!!

Now, I'd really like to step in and take over, however, I don't want to start something that I can't finish. Having just retired from the Marines, I'm currently unemployed and looking for that next career. I don't want to commit to leading this pack or den and then find a job that either prevents me from (a) having the time to prepare, (b) having the time to actually attend the meetings or © causes me to relocate and abandon the pack altogether.

So, what can be done to get this pack/den jump-started to more productive activities? Isn't there a handbook/manual that outlines how to run a meeting? Isn't there certain activities that are almost scripted out as to what to do?

Help!

-Nuhu'anh