First a thanks to you all, and then--may I share the nicest compliment I could have rec'd?

I appreciate the help and guidance my fellow Cub Scouters are sharing :)

Last night, and I say this risking sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, I got the nicest compliment. To make a long story short, I've been on the phone, using e-mail, and meeting with a few of our leaders who have been on the verge of quitting but wanted to stay on.

This one leader in particular had really had enough. He was feeling stressed, had no help, wanted to stay with the program, felt like he was cheating the boys when he continued on without having his heart in the program. I have been trying to help him--asking him what it would take to help him, to make him feel that he could stay and finish out this year. He is entering the second year of Webelos with his den, a pretty special year.

Last night (we've been talking and reviewing ideas and solutions throughout the summer) he said to me, "it just wasn't fun any more. Thank you for your help. I wanted to see my boys bridge, now I can, and you brought the fun back to it."

I'm not sure who's "job" it is to build up the leaders, but I just saw a need and went for it. My joy is knowing that I helped in this way. Shoot, noone will ever know...but that's ok. It's for the boys. This man is a good leader, and I'm so happy he is staying on and now looking forward to the year. Thanks for listening. I'm not sure where else I could share what was for me a highlight of the year.

Laurie, what a great story, thanks for sharing! It's always a good reminder that a nice compliment goes a long way. I go out of my way to compliment parents who have helped "the pack go". It usually doesn't seem like alot to them, but they help me greatly!

If i may, i'd like to share a story with you. Our daycamp theme this year was medieval times, so at the end of the week all the little campers were knighted :). I had to come up with the knighted name for 10 of my boys. One little boy in particular was going to the Ozarks right after daycamp, so i decided to knight him "Sir Brad of the Ozarks". He came running up to me after the Ceremony "Mrs. D. they knighted me Sir Brad of the Ozarks, and i'm GOING to the Ozarks!!" he was so excited i thought he was going to burst. The look on his face was so awesome. His mom said that's all he talked about the following week. The spirit of scouting must have been in me that day. And i thought.....this is what it's all about :).

Sparkie