Day Camp Den Leader Ideas Needed

I am working at our district Cub Scout day camp next week and was looking for some advice. Last year, I showed up with my son on the first day and his den was the only one without a den leader assigned to it. I had taken off the Monday and Tuesday from work but was not signed up to volunteer at the camp (I chickened out of it). Well, there not being a leader was enough of a sign for me to volunteer at the last minute to lead his den at least the first two days. It was extremely hot and the dens wound up being filled with about 15 boys which was more than I was used to with the 6 boys I had in my Tiger den. The second day was hot as well but ended with an early afternoon thunderstorm. We wound up trying to entertain boys shoulder to shoulder under a picnic shelter for a few hours until the parents showed up to pick them up. Luckily there were a few more experienced leaders there to help with that. I think I was not the best den leader for those boys last year by any stretch of the imagination. I would love to get some ideas of things to do to make the week special for the boys instead of just being their chaperone from station to station. Any advice is appreciated.

Anyway,

Great enthusiasm is infectious. The trinkets and junk they bring home from the week will slowly be forgotten...but their memories of that crazy den leader can live on for decades.

Get INTO your den name, flag, and cheer. Get into character. Pick them up when they are dragging. Be that flying pig you've always wanted to be (complete with snout and wings and a loud oink oink).

Carry a fun sack with you throughout the day for those times when they may need a pick-me-up. Examples of sack stuff...a mister to cool them down, some candy, a frisbee, rubber chicken, balls of any kind, use your imagination and your sons.

Remember, you are now a veteran day camper.

Good luck and stay cool.

Carry a small bag of treasure (beads, coins, stars) and reward good behavior. I also award different things during the day such as anything off the wall (but still appropriate) that one of the campers would say that would make everyone laugh. Search the web for quick jokes that are theme related and use them as a pick me up for the boys (ie: this year we have Cubs of the Caribbian (sp) so I used "Why couldn't the cub scouts go to the pirate movie? It was rated ARRRGH!")

Also make sure you know what is needed in the handbook as it can be used as a plan b in case of bad weather.

Most inportantly, Have fun, if you are having fun and your son is having fun I would bet that the other boys are too.

Kristi

Camp Director

Talk to other den leaders, attend Pow-Wow or University of Scouting, search for books on camp/outdoor activities at local stores (bigger religious bookstores often have a section for summer camp staff or youth groups)...

Mostly, just let your love and enthusiasm show through. Stuff that fits your style will click with you and each new idea will probably spawn others.

Well thanks for the advice. Day one is now in the books and it went well. I have a den of eight which was very manageable. It did not get hot until the afternoon when the sun peaked through. I did bring the sack of fun things. I wound up doing a few stories I pulled off of the internet. I wish I had more time to prepare so I could learn the stories and retell them rather than read them. It makes a big difference.

Last night I went to the camp to hide a bucket of water baloons in the brush next to a path. Our schedule worked out great. We went to BB Guns and Archery right after lunch. After those events the boys were dragging from the afternoon heat. I had an assistant leader today who led us along the path knowing what was coming. I was in the back and ambushed the boys from behind once I got to the baloons. They had brief puzzled looks on their faces but quickly came running back to get some baloons. Needless to say, I was outnumbered at that point so I wound up drenched.

I'll check back tomorrow to let you know how it goes.