From all of the post about Venture crews, I don't think that is what we are after. We are a Scout led troop with adults there to offer guidance, the boys do all the planning and implementing. Our goal is to keep these young Eagles in our troop for 2 reasons: to show the younger boys what they can obtain if they stay with scouting (also to demostrate that you don't have to leave after becoming an Eagle)and to make use of their experience to help our younger guys. At the same time we want to meet the needs of these young Eagles so they do not lose interest.

As Yarrow pointed out, you can form a Venture Patrol. Basically an "older scout patrol". Patrols can go on trips and adventures without the whole troop.

Is there some type of recognition within the troop that would help? Maybe they can "earn" the right to go on a high adventure event. Like the boys get points for helping lead the younger scouts, then the adult leaders say "when you get X number of points, we will go on a high adventure trip." Or every few months there be an Eagle-only Patrol Trip.

Just some ideas.

Ideally, what I'm trying to build my troop toward in the next few years is having the kids move up in positions each year. The first year, they either don't have a position or they are a patrol staff member (scribe, QM, etc.) The second year, they move up to being a troop staff member (scribe, QM, Librarian, Historian, Den Chief, etc.) The third and fourth years, they are the PL's and APL's of their patrols. Then, our SPL/ASPL would be at least 15. That way, we don't have kids as SPL at 13, "retired" at 14 and looking like there isn't much left to do in the troop once they've gotten their Eagles. Although I understand the purpose behind the BSA set up of the "New Scout Patrols" or the "Experienced Scout Patrols". However, I think when you have an 11 year old being a patrol leader when he really has no clue what he's doing (yes, I know he can be trained, but in reality the patrol is run by the troop guide), then you have a 14 year old who could be a good patrol leader but can't be one because there is another strong leader his age. Then, you are not using the troops resources the most effective way. You can teach younger kids how to lead without having to give them "honorary" positions when they are not ready for them.

In researching this over the 8-10 months (including a ton of questions on this forum), I've heard from a lot of troops that have older patrol leaders and when they want to do a high adventure trip, they simply do it by age and don't need a separate patrol for it.

I think a lot of the reason why a lot of kids leave Scouting early is because they feel they've done everything they needed and are done "growing". If they still feel like they have room to grow and learn, I think that will play a big part in them staying longer.