Does anyone have experience with going on outings where two units join up and go together on a camping trip?

I'm not talking about meeting up randomly with another troop but actually planning and trip with another unit.

Our unit has become "friends" with a unit across town that has only 3 or 4 active scouts. The boys and their SM went to summer camp last year with us and are planning on going again with us this year too. This has worked out great, the boys get along and the SM is an absolutely great guy who I have tons of respect for.

This summer we will team up with another troop on a canoe trip. The SM is a good friend of mine. This is an annual trip for them, first time doing this river for us. This troop is about the same size as ours, about 28 boys.

In the first case the boys are kind of absorbed into our unit but still under the direction of their SM. In the other the troops will act independently except during the canoeing and will probably verse each other in night time camp-wide games.

Other than over all size of the group which in the first case is not a problem, but in the second could be, is there any other problems or considerations I should be aware of?

Any body else doing this? Good or bad experiences? Things to consider?

we have done it a couple of times......Just both of troops file a tour plan separately.

It is fun especially if the boys enjoy each other and it isn't a constant competition.

Summer camp would be perfect. Instead of getting a random troop to share a campsite with you get someone you know.

Yah, I like to encourage this among units. It's great to build up a sense of scoutin', and each unit gets to learn a bit from the other.

Da thing is, yeh have to be a bit alert to unit dynamics, and pair up units that have similar cultures. If yeh get in a situation where there's a largely parent-run unit and a youth-led unit, for example, that can cause some real friction. Similarly if yeh have a unit that's pretty "loose" behavior-wise and one that isn't.

It helps a fair bit if there's a sense that one unit is the "host" and the other is the "guest", since that sets up a bit more genteel set of expectations in terms of being a good guest, etc.

Beavah

Yep. Do it all the time with crews and troops. I feel a little bit "safer" knowing other drivers are heading my direction! I think the youth are better off for the friendships they make.

The key is good communication. You need a good estimation of the patrol leaders and their navigation skills. (Canoes can get spread apart and miss pull-outs and portages.) For a big trip it never hurts to have the PLC's meet once or twice ahead of time and have a pre-trip shake-down.