Portable Weather Stations

Have you ever used them? Portable weather stations, that is?

Now,I honestly don't know if our troop has or uses one, but I thought about buying and donating two - one to the troop and one to our pack.

The particular one I was looking at doesn't seem very costly:

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CAMPING&C3=TECHNOLOGY&C4=&LV=3&item=601098&prodid=601098^8^01RTL&

So are they actually usefull?

I know on the pack level, we are not going for actual high adventure. WE just camp as a pack and usually within 2 hours of home , so it's not like we can't pre plan based on what the local weather man said. But it would still be col to have.

As far as our troop, well, we meet on different nights then our pack, so not much contact between us. Matter of fact, I don't know the SM name.

So, do you use them? Are they really usefull?

Looks interesting for dump camping. Not needed Sea Base because most of the sailboats have a more sophisticated system. For Philmont or Canoe base, it is weight that can be left behind. It might tell you that you will get wet later but you still have to hike rain or not (unless lightning makes it necessary to take appropriate cover). If high adventure just means adventuresome outings, then it might be okay if I don't have to carry it. In general, I think that it is better to be prepared for the weather and then take it as it comes. A good compass is necessary and a better investment in my book but that is just my opinion.