Minnesota Boy, 14, Collapses, Dies During Boy Scout Hike

Just found this on Foxnews.com. How terribly sad. I can't begin to imagine the effect on the troop and the scout's family, but his parents' attitude speak volumes about character. My prayers for all involved.

==============

Monday, July 27, 2009

The parents of a 14-year-old Boy Scout from Edina who collapsed and died during a hike in New Mexico say there's nothing anyone could have done to save him.

Timothy Nunn died Friday at Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexico. The cause of his death isn't known.

The boy's parents, Jim and Zibby Nunn, said in a statement that their son loved the Boy Scouts and that they take solace in the belief he died doing something he loved.

The Nunns encouraged the Scouts in Timmy's group to continue their trip at Philmont. The family plans to hold Timothy's funeral in early August after the group returns from New Mexico.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534928,00.html?test=latestnews

My heart goes out to the family, the loss of a child is grief beyond comprehension. I also feel for the other scouts and the scouters in the crew. Assuming that they stay on the trail, I can't imagine that they will get much joy out of the remainder of their trek. Losing a scout like that is every scouters worst nightmare.

This is really tragic.

I'm sure Philmont has removed this crew from the field and has a chaplain assigned while at base.

I've heard of crews continuing on their treks when someone gets sick or injured, but I can't imaging continuing your trek in this situation.

This unit should however get priority to re-book a trek next season. For the same scouts and leaders.