Anchoring a hammock - another solution

No matter the brand of camping hammock, each comes with it's own set of instructions on how to tie their beast to a tree. Often times it's an exercise in furstion. Here's a solution.

1. Build an anchor kit

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/Chowanoke/DSCI0169.jpg

- Starting on the left. 2 etriers, a two step, and a three step tied into a length of 1 inch tublar webbing with overhand knots.

- 2 rope thimbles for shear reduction

- 2 plastic sleeves (3/4 pvc joint)

- 2 lengths of 10.5 mm line (static or dynamic)

- 4 carabiners

2. Tie a ManO'War (being adjustable, the bottom loop can be sized; and, it's easier to start at a comfortable level allowing the runner to be move upward with ease before snugging it tight. Thus, no wraps to loosen.)

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/Chowanoke/DSCI0170.jpg

3. Slide the sleeve on, add the rope thimble, and cinch the sleeve down. Then clip in.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/Chowanoke/DSCI0173.jpg

4. If needed, use the etriers to adjust tension. Use the 2step at the head, and the 3 step at the foot. The loops in the etrier allows for a latitude of adjutments without having to untie the system.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/Chowanoke/DSCI0176.jpg(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)

It's a nice set up, but I'm a little concern since the working load limit is 330 pounds, but no Kn rating shown. Knowing the Kn rating is important because a hammock when weighted will generate a huge amount of vector forces on it's anchors, and bollard forces on the wrappings around the trees. My lines are 10.5 mm Blue Water static lines rated at 27 Kn's, I'm a bit paranoid about a line busting during the night when I'm camped over cypress knees. So, I'm all about over kill...

Just keep an eye on em, and inspect them each time before climbing in...and the minute they start to fray, use them for something else.

Thanks, le Voyageur, will do.

Eyeballing the rope across a crude ruler, I'm reading 5 - 6 mm in diameter, so not nearly as strong as yours. I really like the tensioning device - it is a pretty simple design, once you figure it out. I have a friend who is a machinest and I may see if he can make a couple of these for line similar to the size you have.

I'm fairly new to hammock camping, with 6 nights logged on 3 trips. I wasn't sure if I would like it, as I'm a side sleeper and roll around a lot. I've found I can get on my side enough to sleep well, and I feel great when I get up in the morning! That's the biggest advantage for me - I don't feel like I've slept on the ground all night. :-) We are planning on taking them to Summer Camp this year - they are that comfortable.

Thanks for sharing.

What makes hammock great is the varied types of terrain that they can used be in. Tents are impossible for swamp camping, and camping hammocks are the only way.

Since you stated you are a side sleeper, pitch the foot end just a little higher, just a few inches to start. It'll be trial and err until you get the correct pitch.

Some neat ideas for anchoring hammocks but I would be concerned about any system that wraps rope around a tree. It is going to dig into the bark. Straps (at least 1") are the only way to go. I use the 2" straps (seat belt width) that came with my Hennessy Hammock. The only problem is that I did not have the foresight to order it with longer straps as the trees in our Eastern forests tend to be of a larger circumference than the standard 42" straps. I think I will probably order longer straps before summer.

From an LNT perspective hammocks are great. As long as you use straps or something to protect the bark, hammock camping is lower impact than tent camping. If I hang my pack on a tree then the only things that touch the ground are four tent stakes (two guying the hammock and two for the fly) and my boots.

Hennessy's anchor system works pretty well once you get used to it. I roll my hammock into a set of "snake-skins" which makes set up and take down really fast. I am usually ready for a comfortable nap by the time my tent using buddies have started to bend (or break) their tent poles.

I currently have about 12 nights of hammock camping under my belt and expect to do about as much this year. We don't usually camp in swamps but finding level ground can be a challenge. The trick is to be able to eyeball level when hanging my hammock over a slope. I spent last Saturday night sliding down to the foot of my hammock as I guessed badly. Still better than sliding to the foot of a tent.

Hal

You're right about using straps to prevent damage, more so for smooth bark trees as small diameter cords will cut into them fairly deep. If lacking straps, then heavy weight canvas will serve the same purpose.

For the past two weeks, I've been diverted from heading out to the Millpond to spend a night in the Enchanted Forest, near Monkey Island. I think this coming week I'll see that trip happening...

Found this site on the net for the Millpond...

Merchants Mill Pond

For those in Tidewater Council, nows the time to enjoy this park before the heat, and humidity sets in...(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)

Not many folks are aware that this part of Virginia was the extreme range of the voyageurs, and at our Scout reservation (BRMC) we run a 50 miler program based on this, paddling the Kanawha (the NC and Va sections of the New) during the summer. I average about 300 to 400 river miles during the 8 weeks that the program runs...the down side of the program is that it eventually comes to end, and the upside is spending time with some pretty good scouts, and scouters each week.

I grew up hammock-camping and never really saw a need to go beyond 3/8" rope with a bowline or eyesplice on the hammock O-ring and a few wraps around the tree trunk to finish back off at the O-ring with a tautline and two extra half-hitches.

That's an interesting knot there but I like the added value of showing the Scouts the versatility of the knots they need to learn for advancement.