Making period knives on the cheap

These two knives are simply knives found at flea markets, and yard sales, then modified a bit into working sheath knives.

The top knife was from a craving knife, cut back about 3 inches, price was 3 bucks, and several minutes at the bench grinder, followed by a bit of work with a stone.

The bottom one which now serves as my patch knife, was made from an antique table knife that had little value. It too was cut back by a few inches. Price was 85 cents at a flea market.

The trick is to locate the old stuff with high carbon steel, being careful to keep the blade from overheating when shaping with a grinder.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/Chowanoke/DSCI0161.jpg

I picked up a bastard at a flea market with an idea to make it a knife, then I heard about having to temper it, any thought on the best way to grind it into a blade and the make sure it doesnt shatter the next time I drop it? I know there will be a next time

With files OGE, heat them to the red stage, letting them cool over several hours. This will remove the temper letting you grind it into shape. You'll need to keep the blade cool as possible during grinding.

Once you've got the blade you want, the next step is to temper it. Heat the blade to somewhere between straw yellow to light orange, and plunge it into 30 weight motor oil (be careful here). After that, a stone, and emery cloth will put a keen edge on the blade.

This should give you a blade that won't shatter when you drop it