Naval Base Newport News Va.

Hello to all. I am an assistant Den leader in oul local pack 424. My son will be crossing over to Boy Scouts next month. This past weekend we had a welcoming camping trip with our Boy Scout troop. The other dads and I were talking about our scouting memories. One of mine was a trip to the Naval base at Newport News Va. Any how I was asked to check into this and see what needed to be done to get a trip together. I have not had much luck so far in finding any info. I was hoping someone up here might have done this trip recently and or might be able to help me find out some info on what I would need to do to get a trip lined up.

Thanks,

JC

Is this what you're looking for?

BTW, NSN's website is secure, but IE will tell you not to go there and display a big red bar in the navigation area.

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/NorfolkSTA/index.htm

Naval Station Norfolk in association with Tidewater Tours Inc. present the naval tour schedule for the 2009 tour season:

Nov 2 - Mar 17, 2009

One tour daily, except Mondays, unless Holiday. Tour will depart at 1:30pm.

Mar 18 - May 23, 2009 Four tours daily: Tours will depart at 11:00am; 12 noon; 1:00pm and 2:00pm.

May 24 - Sept 5, 2009

Nine tours daily: Tours will depart at 10:00am, 10:30am, 11:00am, 11:30am, 12 noon, 12:30pm, 1:00pm, 1:30pm, and 2:00pm.

Sept 6 - Oct 31, 2009

Four tours daily: Tours will depart at 11:00am; 12 noon; 1:00pm and 2:00pm.

Nov 1 - Dec 31, 2009

One tour daily, except Mondays, unless Holiday; Tour will depart at 1:30pm.

The 45-minute tour is conducted by Naval personnel. Visitors will have an opportunity to see aircraft carriers, destroyers, frigates, amphibious assault ships and one of the busiest airfields in the country. The tour also features historic homes from the 1907 Jamestown Exposition. The cost is $10 for adults and $5.00 for children 3-11 and senior citizens over the age of 60. A picture ID is required for all adults. Tour buses are not handicapped accessible.

The tours depart from the Naval Tour and Information Center located at 9079 Hampton Blvd. Norfolk, Virginia 23505, next to gate 5.

For general information (ticket information, tour times, bus schedule, etc.) call, (757) 444-7955. The Naval Tour and Information Center will be closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Group tours (chartered buses) can be arranged in advance by calling Naval Tour and Information Center at (757) 444-0948.

There are tons of things to do in the area including the Langley Air & Space museum in Newport News. Wiliamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown, First Landing State Park (camp behind the dunes on the Bay in Va Beach.), deep sea fishing, The Virginia Marine Science CEnter ( under going renovation til Spring '09 at least), USS Wisconsin and Nautilus Center, Gen. MacARthur Memorial, Ft. Monroe a historic Vaubann fortress, Busch Gardens, and various water parks if you go in the summer. Oh, there's also a beach with great surfing on the south end.

Hope y'all can make a trip.

( Can you tell I grew up there? :) )

When I went as a scout, we stayed on base in barracks and ate with the enlisted men in the mess hall (I guess thats what you call it) I remember going up in a tower at a air strip, and going on several ships and submarines. Some of these ships were in service and were full of enlisted men doing their day to day jobs. Thanks for the help so far when I get more time, which shouldnt be a problem being I am layed off this week, I will call the numbers you guys have gave me and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

JC