Campfire waffle maker

No, Stosh, "raised waffles" have nothing to do with thickness. It has to do with leavening. They are also called "yeast waffles" or sometimes "overnight waffles".

They are sublime. The perfect waffle batter for the perfect waffle. Much better than anything descended from pancake batter or leavened with baking powder or soda. Honestly. I stake my reputation as a Certified Foodie on it.

Here's an example recipe (but not the one I use -- I don't have that one memorized):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Raised-Waffles-40050

Guy

Once one closes the cover on a waffle iron, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether it's raised or not. :^D I do find that if one takes even the standard pancake mix out of the box, if one lets it sit for a while the waffles and pancakes do end up lighter and fluffier than if they use the batter right away. The old cast-iron waffle irons allowed for a lot more space and thus fluffier waffles than the modern electric ones. These smaller waffles aren't my cup of tea. When I make one waffle in an old Griswold iron I put in twice as much batter than those who use the electic irons. Of course if one puts in twice the batter, they get twice the waffle. With all is said and done a waffle using twice the batter in the relatively same diameter iron is going to get a lot thicker waffle in the long run.

While I'm not certified in anything in the arena of food prep. I do know that how one goes about such prep and the equipment they use does make a difference.

Stosh