Glacier Ntl Park Backpacking Trip Suggestions

Hi Everyone. Just joined, although I've poked around a few times over the years. I'm an ASM in our troop in Stilwater, MN. Our troop is heading out to Glacier National Park in the 3rd week in July. The troop itself is camping 5 nights at West Glacier at the Apgar campsite and doing day hikes. I'm going to be taking a group of Scouts on a 2 night, 15+ mile hike into the backcountry as part of the Backpacking Merit badge. So, I'm looking for advice from Scouters on trips.

My requirements are: 1. we are dependent on the shuttle bus on the Road to the Sun, since we won't have a car. 2. We are unexperienced when it comes to river crossings and snow crossing dangers. 3. I want the trip to be hard, but not extreme. 4. For the merit badge, it has to be 3 days, 2 different campsites, and at least 15 miles.

My wish list is: 1. we cross the continental divide. 2. It's a point to point trip, or at least most of it is. However, if you know of a great out and back trip, I'd love to hear of it. 3. I'd like to camp by at least one lake and I love being by rivers/waterfalls. I like to have these as goals for the boys to work for.

I have been looking at the Reynold's Creek (REY), Gunsight Lake (GUN), Sperry (SPE), to Lake McDonald route. There are a couple of snow hazards on this trail, and it sounds like its a very popular route, so it might be hard to get a reservation.

So, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Any, if you have any other thoughts, love to hear those too.

Thanks a lot.

One of my favorite hikes in the backcountry is from Granite using the Road to the Sun parameter) to Waterton lake. You cross the divide and hike not that far from it. The Glacier Rangers are also excellent help. If you contact them at Glacier with the info you listed -- they maybe able to suggest the best hike for that time of year. They will also have a good idea of the snow areas -- which can change. Have fun -- it is beautiful.