History of "Be Prepared" Motto?

I am interested in the history of the scout motto: "Be Prepared." For example, who coined the phrase and when? Be prepared for what? I know it refers to general preparedness for whatever comes your way and to meet the challenges of life, but has that always been its meaning? What was the importance of being prepared when the phrse was first adopted, and how has that changed over time? Any help and info will be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

The roots of the motto 'be prepared' stem from the biblical teaching to "be ready to do whatever is good" (eg. Titus 3:1), which every Christian should practice. The biblical teaching comes from God's good nature, i.e. "God is good." The truth is that we grow more Christlike when we do good works, and the motto 'be prepared' is our discipline of deciding in advance to perform a good work when opportunity presents itself.

Here is a quote from The Last Lion, by William Manchester, a respected biographer, page 380.

"Sir R.S.S. Baden-Powell, the hero of Mafeking, published Scouting for Boys in 1906 and founded the Boy Scout movement with the motto 'Be Prepared,' based on his initials."