Hello y'all!

Well, our troop has returned to civilization, back from 12 days on the trail at Philmont - "Scouting Paradise". What a terrific trek, too! I could almost see the fellows meld into a strong, cohesive team over the days. They seemed to mature into young men right before our eyes. The memories will last us all a lifetime.

We started under extreme fire danger, but the first week on the trail was so rainy, that by the second week, the fire ban was lifted and we actually enjoyed a couple of fires in the staffed camps.

And no injuries, not even a blister! One bear sighting - he seemed to be mellow though and ambled away after sniffing in our direction for a tense minute. Also, staff spotted some cougar scat at a camp 2 days before we got there. And, of course, zillions of "mini-bears"! ...

We hiked over Mount Phillips and then down over the Tooth - what incredible views! A great trek.

Ahh - I miss it already!

-T

Excellent Trev.

We are heading down to Philmont next July.

Those of us who live in the mountians get a bit jaded on the scenery. Its good to hear you flatlanders marvel at it. Humbles us.

Anywhoo. We are heading to Canada tomorrow for 10 days in the boundary waters. If I survive, I'll report back.

Congratulations Trev. Sounds like you made it just fine and got a tremendous "lift" from the experience. I'm happy for you, if not a little envious.

Which trek were you on? We were there in 2005 and were on Trek 4 which took us over Mt. Phillips and the Tooth, as well as Trail Peak.

Welcome back. I envy you. I was last at the Ranch in 1998. So long ago I've forgotten the Trek #, but we went over Mt. Philips and the Tooth. We have tried getting a slot a couple of times since, but no luck.

Leaving for Boundary Waters next week. Pray for an old Scouter.

We were on trek 13. It was almost leisurely compared to our last one. Lots of time in camps to enjoy the programs or just the scenery.

We're now looking towards a sub-zero expedition this winter somewhere up in Minnesota. For us Texans, the idea of making a snow shelter is exotic beyond belief!