Camping merit badge and float trip

for all you merit badge gurus out there:

The requirement for camping merit badge:

"On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision:

Plan and carry out a float trip of at least four hours."

How much planning is required by the Scouts? Would a white water raft trip count even though the Scouts don't really plan much about the trip down the river itself?

It's really up to the MBC to decide. Obviously it's a lot to expect each scout to have complete planning responsibility for this. Very few would complete the MB if that were the case. Since your campouts should be boy-planned and boy-led, every scout should have the opportunity to participate in the planning. In other words they should decide things like what type of float trip they want to go on (white water rafting, canoe down still water, canoe down rushing water, camp on the river, etc. All our buys have the opportunity to voice their opinions on these things and we talk through the plans. Truth is, we know, that half of them sit there and don't have a clue what's going on. They get the benefit of the work the others did. But, there again, we are a reflection of real life, aren't we?

I am assuming perhaps you have an upcoming float trip and a boy is hoping to satisfy the requirement with it. Remember, the float trip is just one option out of a list of options. There are other things to choose from. But then again, my assumption could be all wet. Get it...all wet! Float trip! What a comic!!! Sometimes I crack myself up. OK, not that funny. Carry on.

Hey Beave,

I don't care if the Scouts do say that your a bit drippy

With a bubbly personality like yours, your sure to go far.

And I don't mean the further the better!!

Back to the Thread.

Of course it is up to the MBC.

I'm not sure what preparation and what planning the Scout would have to do?

So if I were the Scout I'd check with the Counselor first.

Eamonn.

Oh Semper, careful or I'm gunwale ooze it again. You might just knock me off my rocker and I'll tumblehome oar keel over. At any rate, I'll probably bow down to SWMBO while getting a stern paddling. Alas, how can I thwart this fate?(This message has been edited by SWScouter)

Yah, you guys all should be paddled. Da guy was askin' a serious question. ;)

Yah, I'd say that to meet the requirment, the boy should detail out how the trip is goin' to be run, using the points of Safety Afloat that he learned for 1st Class. Seems like just votin' "I want to go on a raft trip" ain't enough, eh?

Have 'em go through each of the Safety Afloat points, plan instruction, call the whitewater outfitter and make reservations, learn how to decide what class of whitewater is appropriate for the experience and ability of kids in his patrol.

Make youth leadership real, eh?

Yah, and don't forget, if yeh let ducks be scouts, then they shouldn't use rafts. They need to be paddlin' duckies in whitewater.