Big lakes can be a challenge, requiring both experience, and sound judgement when venturing out onto them. Thus, some tips to help those new to game stay safe....

- Consider all lakes as wind machines. Start early, as the sun rises, so too the winds.

- Float Plan/Emegency Plan with alternative takeouts.

- Rewarming Plan (hypothermic prevention)

- Buddy System always - Buddy pairs, buddy boats. Keep together.

- Crew safety gear (throw bags, bailers, spare paddles, maps/compass/GPS, etc.). Personal safety gear (PFD, whistle, etc.). All boats with painters.

- On rolling swells, mix weak paddlers with strong to prevent broaching, and a high side roll. Quater waves working the Bow with forward strokes, and draw/cross draw strokes. Stay on the knees.

- Order of rescue for a swamped/capsized boat - people, boat, gear. Know how to paddle a swamped cane to shore.

- Use two boats to stabilize the others for T rescues of gear laden boats.

- Use nylon webbing as looped foot straps to assist a paddler back into the boat.

- Be aware of freeboard. Stay in trim, the exception being for weather vanning (heavy bow for strong head winds, heavy stern for strong tail winds). Consider paddling (if possible) the lee shore side, using trees and terrain to break the wind.

- Unless crossing, never exceed beyond 75 yards from shore. Make for shore at the sound of thunder, or a flash of lighting. Storms move fast, winds grow in intensity, and waves will build. Never attempt a high mileage crossing during low visibility, or late in the day. For lakes where the far shore is not visable, consider islands of safety, or running legs to where the lake narrows, and the far shore can be seen.

- For each leg on the day's run, the Sternman should establish, and keep the Bow informed of the aim point. To keep the boat strong, the Bow should use draw/cross draw strokes to assist the Stern to true the boat on the aim point while running.

- Keep a weather eye, consider carrying a weather radio. Always schedule for a wind bound day during the trek.

le Voyageur, did you happen to be on staff for Camp Powhatan's Voyageur program for the summer of 2003?

If so, i'd like to get in contact with you, because i'm on staff for it this year, and i'd like as much advice as possible.

p.s. yes, as the name implies, i'm a girl.

le Voyageur, did you happen to be on staff for Camp Powhatan's Voyageur program for the summer of 2003?

If so, i'd like to get in contact with you, because i'm on staff for it this year, and i'd like as much advice as possible.

p.s. yes, as the name implies, i'm a girl.

The answer is yes.....did I make you the trade shirt with a heart on it?