anyone have good place to hike

In addition to Philmont our Troop does regular 70 mile hikes on the Maine AT finishing off in Baxter State Park and Mount Katahdin. Its a really beautiful area, and off all the mountains ive hiked through out New England, Mt Katahdin is my favorite by far and really, only second to Mount Baldy in Philmont in my heart. Its about One mile up and shaped like half a volcano crater, with one half of it called "the Knife's Edge" because the rim is only about ten yards wide with sheer cliffs on each side.

Its a really easy hike to put together. The main thing is to lock down camping reservations in Baxter State Park which will allow you to hike the mountain in one day. From that all you need is transportation, food and gear. Its first come first serve on the AT, dont bother trying to get the lean-tos because its the beginning of the AT and there are a lot of people boasting they are going all the way to Atlanta.

Funny thing is, if you hike the AT in southern NY and Northern NJ, you dont find a single Thru hiker.

Ive done this trek in 1994 and 2000 and will be back in 2007.

I stumbled on this site looking for backpacking trips in southern New England. They describe a number of trails, itineraries some include maps.

Sorry, don't know how to insert as a link. You'll have to copy and paste it into the address window of your browser.

We hope to try one of these in the spring as a shake down for High Knoll.

SA

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/green_mountain/recreation_management/backpacking/index.htm