Camporee Planning Package

Hey all

Our District has been using a customized Camporee package for several years now and frankly many leaders and Scouts have commented/complained that the only difference has been the title and patch design. Our current Camporee Committee has decided to start anew so I've been trying to locate a copy of the booklet published by National on planning Camporees or some similar guides. Three of the local Councils do not have it in stock and in fact two of them were not aware there was such a publication. So, I'm curious what other Districts use for planning.

Any guidance you good folks can provide would be appreciated.

Lok

• 4 years later...

The BSA Camporee Pamphlet is still available from your national or council scout shop. Ask them to order item #33571 for you if they don't have one on the shelf.

I looked at the on-line link and found it to be lacking the backward planning calendar and many of the suggested games.

The latest printing date is 2007.

Yours in Scouting

Our district has a unique way of handling our Camporees. We run and SPL Roundtable (concurrent with Cub Scout and Boy Scout Roundtables and Venturing Forums).

The purpose of the SPL-RT is two fold. First, it is an opportunity for SPLs (and ASPLs) to interact and communicate (just like other RTs), but second, and what has taken on a life of its own, these participating SPLs plan and run the District Camporee. Since participation at Camporees is by patrol, the SPLs are free to organize and run the events. This, in part, guarantees that troops participate, and in fact, make them want to participate, because they help plan what they want to do. We did this for last year's Spring Camporee and again this Spring (the past fall Council Encampment was run by the OA and was also a big hit).

I sat in on last month's SPL-RT, and this will be a really cool camporee in April.