During our Cub Scout Pack's overnighter, which was also attended by one of our local Boy Scout Troops, I couldn't help but notice that the patrols essentially kept a fire going all day long. Most of the time it was smoking more than burning - to the point that the smoke became irritating while the Scouts gave presentations to the Cubs.

My memory of Scouting was to light a fire at night, mostly for story-telling and fun - all our cooking was over charcoal. Except for winter camping, I don't recall lighting a fire during the day.

What do your troops do?

By the way, I have noticed the same thing at family campgrounds. Many sites seem to run smoldering fires all day. At the last campground the air was filled with smoke. I wondered what the EPA's stance on campground pollution was.

Not that I'm being grumpy - mostly that it is unnecessary pollution and a waste of wood. I LOVE campfires - at night.

I doubt if there are any measurable stats on campground fires and their impact on the atmosphere. It's not even a speck compared to vehicles and factory polution.

Our boys are always wanting a fire. I use it as a safety lesson. During the day, what's the purpose of the fire? Cooking, warmth, drying clothes, etc. If there is no purpose for the fire, then - for safety reasons - we shouldn't keep one going. And, when we make them put it out - completely out - when we leave the campsite, they realize it wasn't worth the effort. Therefore, they seldom have a fire going during the day on a summer campout.

Have to admit that when we cooked all of our meals over wood fires we rarely left them go out and always had a big pan of water on to boil.One never knew when the urge for a spot of tea might hit.

Now other then for a entertainment camp fire, I don't see the need. Still when I visit the Troops at camp I see this fire burning all day. I think it is done to give the Leaders something to do or gather around. I have been told that the smoke keeps the bugs at bay.

Eamonn.

Boys like to burn things and a weekend long campfire is the perfect excuse. Back on our February campout, we were at a site that had a pretty good store of fire wood. It was cold and both patrols and the adults all had fires in their area. However, one of the patrols threw every scrap of firewood in their store on their fire once they had it going. Their metal fire ring was practically glowing. An hour later they are complaining about not having firewood and having to scrounge thru the brush. The rest of us threw a piece on when the fire needed it.

We got to tell them the difference between an Indian fire and a white man's fire. I'm sure most of you have heard it; but if you have not, I'll tell it. The Indian builds a small fire, sits close to it, wraps his blanket around his shoulders and opens it to the fire to soak in the warmth. The white man builds a big fire and stays far away because of the intense heat. He then stands and does the fire dance. Since he is so far away, only one side will get warm. He is continually turning from facing forward to facing backwards to heat himself. We built Indian fires. The one patrol built a white man's fire.