NOLS trip - Wind River Range, WY

I just returned from a 10-day backpacking/leadership course - part of a fairly new program for adult professional development at the National Outdoor Leadership School (http://www.nols.edu/).

I'm still at a loss for words, but WOW! This was the experience of a lifetime!! The two instructors stayed with us the whole time - pushing us to do stuff I never dreamed I'd be attempting in some truly rugged conditions. It snowed on us almost every day, we bushwhacked across terrain while post-holing for miles on end with 70-pound packs, and climbed a 12.6K peak in howling winds with ice axes at the ready. These instructors have my absolute and total respect - they aren't part-time summer help - they do this stuff for a living and they know their stuff cold. (No pun intended.) After the day's activities, we'd have classes in leadership and team building in the campsite. In addition to these, I learned a ton of new backcountry skills with a lot of emphasis on Leave No Trace.

Most of their programs are oriented toward High School and College kids - male and female. Course lengths range from a week to a semester (with college credits) at many different locations around the US and world. In addition to backpacking, programs include technical climbing, canoe/kayaking/rafting, sea kayaking, telemark skiing, wilderness medicine, etc.

They've been around since the 60s and haven't traditionally catered to Scout groups, but I understand they're willing to discuss options if you're interested. Their standard programs might be just the thing for some of your guys that are looking for a different challenge.

I won't blabber on any more, but - as you can tell - I'm a believer in their program. If you want more info, please feel free to send me a private message.

-mike f

I also experienced a NOLS adventure (in 1972)right out of H.S.

NOLS Founder Paul Petzodt was still extremely active within the program. It was definitely a "life-time experience" ! Our crew were in the Wind-River wilderness for 18 days of physically and mentally challenging leadership challenges. The premier team-building adventure !

Greeneagle5(This message has been edited by Greeneagle5)