Mackinac Island Camp-O-Ree Hiawatha/Scenic Trails

WOW! Was that ever a fun camp-o-ree. It was the 60th anniversary of Hiawathaland Council and the 65th of Scenic Trails. We decided to have a big joint operation at the straits. I was on staff. I got to take my old gear along too. I had my yucca, wool blankets, tarp tent, old mess kit and canteen and first aid kit. ANyways, more on the campout. The masses stayed at Straits State park on the mainland. The program staff spent the first night in the Scout barracks, and then went over for the second night with their home troops for a night of camping on the mainland. I had a ball, and I know about 1,800 other people from all over the UP and Lower Peninsula did too.

Yes, this camporee was great. I am amazed at how the staff pulled this one off. They should be commended for all of their work. For $25 we got a two night stay in a State campground, a boat ride to Mackinac Island and back, a full program on the island including access to the fort, a concert by Song of the Lakes, 5 meals, and an event patch that looks like it cost $10 by itself. Thanks to all of the FOS supports who must of kicked in a whole bunch of cash for this one. Good job Hiawatha and Scenic Trails our kids love it.