"If anyone says that official BSA uniform socks are not the most cost effective and highest quality option available, let him be anathema."

BSA wool socks are $11.50 a pair.

I was at Costco today and found an even better bargain. 75% Merino Wool sock, 3 pairs for $9 AND they had them in a size that would fit my son.

Socks are about the one thing I am willing to completely ignore about the uniform. The cotton socks are no good for serious hiking/walking in boots, and aren't much use in extremely hot or very cold conditions. The ankle socks are totally useless. The knee socks look nice with sorts and help keep stuff off your legs but they are too tight on the calves and too thin on the foot. I have no experience with the BSA hiking socks. The stupid things came out after I had stocked up on good wool socks and poli liners. I thought about getting some of the BSA hiking socks just so I could stay uniformed when hiking, but I noticed the "wool" socks actually contain only a very tiny amount of wool according the last catalog I looked in. I don't expect I will be buying any of those anytime soon.