Christmas Equipment deals

HI All

OK, I am not a dealer or represent any, but I like to pass along what I see as good deals in case anyone is looking for Christmas gifts. I won't even get into what it cost me and my two sons to go to Philmont last year.

I noticed Campmor.com has several good deals on Packs.

A Jansport Rockies II internal frame pack for $109.97 is a pretty good deal. Several scouts (my son) and adults in our troop use this pack and really like it a lot.

The Kely Super Tioga External frame pack for $109.97 is another good deal. I have used this pack myself and it is the most comfortable external frame pack I have ever worn. It has gobs of pockets and holds about as much gear as any two people could possibly want.

The Jansport Scout for $59.97 external frame is a great pack and price for the new scout and very tough.

The Jansport Carson for $79.97 is another good external frame pack that several of our scouts (both my sons) have used on several long treks including Philmont. It fits young teens very well and is very durable with most of the goodies of packs twice their price. I don't suggest it for adults because it seems to only fit smaller body frames. My son out grew his when he weighed about 130 lbs.

Again, I have nothing to do with these companies an get nothing from them. These were just some good deals I ran across want to pass along. I KNOW how expensive scouting can be.

Merry Christmas and have a great scouting week.

Barry

Sounds good. Let's see if we can add some good gift ideas.

I think among the list of things that are a must for Philmont is good rain gear. I suggest Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka for $49.99 and Red Ledge Thunderlight Full Zip Pant $39.99.

There was a backpacking discussion on this list last spring and someone, sorry I don't remember who, suggested Red Ledge Thunderlight rain suits at Campmor. Most really good rain gear cost close to $200.00 or more. Both my sons out grew their old gear, so I was interested. I check them out and found they are of high quality and perfect for backpacking. They are not on sale at this price, but are still a good buy and will last the scouts a few years. I've been in a lot of weather and rain and this is good stuff.

Barry

Brunton, the compass manufacturer, offers wholesale pricing to

Scouters. I just bought a full Educational Kit from them with eighteen 2090G compasses for less than I could have bought the 18 compasses at Campmor.

The kids are all getting the compasses for the holidays. When we teach map and compass in the spring they will all have the same units, and we will have the training aids to accompany the compass that the boys have.

On another front.... there are some extreme deals out there on Gregory Backpacks. Gregory is introducing the new model year and has offered very deep discounts on the some of the year end leftovers (sounds like car sales). Anyway, if you are looking for a top of the line pack, check out Gregory packs at your local shop or online dealer.

(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

Barry,

I'm sure you already know, but Backwoods on North May offers scouts and scouters a 10 or 15% discount. My apologies to those of you who don't live in Barry and my area.

I got a promotional e-mail from Coleman the other day with a Christmas tent sale. Some folks might want to check them out. The prices were greatly reduced in some instances.