Philmont Wrangler clothing, etc?

I'm going to be a wrangler this summer at Philmont. I haven't been there before, and the staff handbook doesn't tell us a whole lot. So, here are my questions:

Wrangler:

-What type of rain gear should I get?

-Anybody know where we sleep when on cavalcade?

-How strenuous is this job as compared to ranger? Tips for getting in shape?

-Do I need the same clothes I would backpacking?

I'm sure I missed several of the questions I had, so any suggestions would be much appreciated!

First, you need to query Philmont for their uniform/clothing requirements for this program area. Once you get that info, post it here, and lets see if we can't save you a few bucks before you buy anything....

However, some general hints. Since you'll be working around horses consider steel toe boots that can fit in the stirups. As in backpacking, brand names mean nothing, fit is everything. Make sure they are comfortable while wearing at least two pairs of socks.

For rain gear look at Campmor's Camp Tech line (my set has seen nearly 8 years of very hard use in the backcountry, and still works just fine. On the other hand, a very pricy Goretex parka gave up the ghost within the first year, barely making it up Shasta).

Shop the thrift stores for a fleece vest/wool sweater combo to go under the rain parka (got a nearly new Columbia brand vest for 2 bucks, a huge savings).

Don't forget leather gloves for riding, and several pairs of work gloves for general duty.

I did get the general handbook list of things to bring, but they tend to be a little vague. ("Acceptable western wear" is what the uniform requirements for wrangler are.) I have most of what I need as far as uniform goes, but I do need to pick up a few outerwear things, thanks to a person who "borrowed" my shell, never to return.

Do you think that fleece would work well under rain gear? I have a vest and pullover that's worked well for me sailing in Maine and backpacking in the fall around the Smokies and Blue ridge, but it is pretty lightweight.

I'll look into the Campmore line; it looks good. Thanks!

Fleece is idea under a rain shell...

I get the feeling that you're East coast and not familar with western wear per se (not a slam, okay)...so

What I would recommend is to hit the libraries, and or internet and take a look at what was being worn around, say about 1875 to 1900 and create a persona and impression from there. Keep it simple, cowboys never had much money, and their clothing was well worn. Their favorite color was broke...

Boots and hats will be the big ticket items. For myself in boots, I would consider a 15 inch high stovepipe with mule ears and Cuban heels. The hat would be a 2X (the more x's, the higher the quality, and the price) have a Tom Horn crown, plus a stampede string...(don't worry about the lingo, any good Tack, or Western Wear Outfitter will know what this means, this will get you started off in the right direction and away from the dude ranch/greenhorn gear)

Whatever you do, don't get tempted and buy any of those huge Texas size beltbuckles, again, keep it simple.

Tell you what, to save you some bucks, and if you wear a size 7 in hats shoot me a pm with an address. I've got a 3X with a Montana crown that I'm not using anymore. It'll need reblocking , but if it'll fit, it's your, no cost....

Yup, definitely an East coast girl, with a background in dressage and hunter riding. You're observation was quite accurate. ;)

Anyway, I looked around online, and I have a much better idea of what to bring. I went with a good pair of ropers that weren't too expensive but are well-made. I'm not crazy about steel toes, having never used or really needed them, so I decided that plain, sturdy leather would suit my purposes better.

I'm still looking at hats, but I've got it narrowed down a bit to my price range and a style I can live with. I definitely need the stampede string, or I'd lose it in about ten minutes or less!

In looking at photos from the times you suggested I noticed that most of their clothing was very simple (as you said), which is what I wanted in the first place. No fear of me being tempted by large belt buckles; I never quite understood them in the first place.

For what was left of the camping-type stuff I needed, I got some good advice from the backpacker.com reviews (I love that magazine!), and ended up going with the Red Ridge thunderlight jacket and pants. My dad has a pair that he absolutely loves, plus it was quite affordable. I really liked the campmor line you recommended as well.

Thanks for the advice!