Just thinking out loud for the now

Fall camporee is still a bit of a ways down the road. But, the problem is that our District Camporees are getting a wee bit stale with the same themes being recycled year after year.

Here's me thoughts that I'm thinking about presenting to the District; a camporee akin to the Fiest of the Hunter's Moon rendezvous (a major gathering of re-enactors in October) using the American Hertiage, Indian Lore, and Pioneering merit badges as the primary guide, with units free to re enact any period of American history from 1585 to 1900 that they would be interested in.

Thoughts, yea or nay..........

OGE, if I can get the District's blessings on this, you and your unit would be more than welcomed.

With the District's May meeting about 2 weeks away I'm starting to put together some ideas for a presentation.

So, anybody got any ideals that they would like to pass along.

As a side note for those folks who have done no re enacting, re enacting involves more than just representing military units. For example, couer de bois, merchants, traders, smiths, coopers, wheelwrights, scouts, buck skinners, voyageurs (of course). Basically, any and all of the elements that make up the societal fabrics of a past era. One of the best that I've seen was a young girl who's persona was that of an Irish washer woman during the Rev. War. Natural red hair, green eyes, frekles, and a lith with no modern idoms, in correct period clothing. Nothing Hollywood.

But, remember, we're dealing with Scouts who have no experience with re enacting. So the big ticket is to keep it simple. The overall goal is to intoduce them to living history, and make it fun. So feel free to voice opinions and ideals that you would like to see, or take part in if you were a scout at this camporee.

Thanks, LV