Question on Boy Scout Rank Patches

I know the change happened a few years after I aged out of Scouts (1991), but what was the reasoning for taking out the color of the Boy Scout rank patches? I thought it looked better, and was definitely easier to identify a Scout from a distance. Beige is boring! :)

Overall, the uniform has gone to tan and green. Half the world thought the uniform was too flashy and showy and should be toned down. The other half want more color and patches. The term often used was third world dictator general look.

So yes, not only the rank badges but also POR, Trained, troop numbers, epulets, etc. have gone to tan and green. More subdued look overall.

I have my Tenderfoot badge from pre-1972 and it is a piece of dark green cloth with a yellow fleurdelis. No border sewn around the patch. The uniform was the same dark green color at the time. You actually rolled the edge of the patch under and then sewed it to the uniform. My other rank badges are garish colors. I remember as a boy being disappointed that they changed the uniform to the Oscar De La Renta tan and green with bright patches. I wanted the dark green uniform with red piping. What goes around comes around.