Veteran Bards restricted?

"This is a restricted item. Available only in your local council trading post or Scout Shop with required paperwork."

Seriously? My pack is 28 years old. I am planning on wearing the 25 year veteran bar .

What is the restriction?

I did by my TRAINED patch and my Cub Master patchwithout any question or paperwork whatsoever.

Fish,

Some of the things that national has restricted nowadays don't make sense. For example the Sea Scout Leader hat pin and sea scout leader device are both restricted now. And don't mention the Sea Scout lapel pin. It isn't even listed on SCOUTSTUFF.ORG, but if you know the item number and call, they say it's also restricted.

Scoutfish,

Veteran bars are not restricted to the best of my knowledge. Why the ding bats in Charlotte wouldn't sell you one over the phone or via the web has me baffled. I suppose they wanted your unit's chartered date off your re-charter forms or something. I wouldn't even begin to know what paper work is required for a vet bar.

A veteran pin on the other hand could be restricted since it's for personal service to the BSA not for a unit's tenure. But I've never sold one of them so I'm not really sure if paperwork is needed or not.

I'll gladly sell you as many as you want. PM me and we can work it out.

trainer,

Any reason why the sea scout stuff is restricted?

As for vet pins, if memory serves, up to 15 or 20 years and the council can approve and issue a card EXCEPT for professionals. For 20 or 25+ years and all professionals for any amount of time, National has to approve it and issue you a card. Once you get the card, then you can go buy it. They are suppose to ask to see the card.

Which reminds me I need to find my 25 year vet card and get a pin one of these days or just ;)(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

trainerlady,

Actually, I didn't try to buy one yet. My dog ate my unifron shiret after a weekend Pow Wow. Yeah, we did some awesome cooking! :)

So I am going to have to replace it and a few patches. I waslooking them up on National just to get an appoximate idea of cost.

Then I noticed the "restricted" statement to the left of the patch.

I'm pretty sure that if I bought my "trained " patch and "Cub Master" patch without paperwoprk, I probably ought to be able to buy the veteran bar.