Uniform Question

Okay, this is for those who know more about uniforms than I: I've come into possession of a pair of shorts that purport to be BSA, but are not like any I've seen. They do have a BSA label on the inside, sewed at one end into the zipper flap. They resemble the normal ODLR varieties I've seen, but the color is almost the shade of the 1950's - 1960's uniforms. Really odd to me is that there is no cargo pocket on top of the main right and left pockets and the back pockets are almost square, have rectangular, not V-shaped, flaps and buttons that say "Boy Scouts of America." However, unlike the normal BSA buttons I've seen, these are 4-hole, saucer shaped plastic. Also, there is no button at all at the waist closure. The other varieties of shorts I've seen all have a metal snap button with the BSA name and badge. The waist closure on these is a Talon metal one covered by the cloth. These also have a slit at the bottom of the outer seam of each leg, about and inch and a half long, which may have been added by some previous wearer.

Anybody know what these are? Sorry I can't post a picture.

Are they the Poly Wool ones? I know that the poly wool pants didn't have snaps, but buttons instead. I am assuming the shorts were the same way.

EDITED: and I think they were black, plain buttons with no BSA insignia on them. And it sound like you got a pair of them.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

Eagle92: They're not poly wool, definitely. I own a set of those and you're right, they do have that kind of closure, but these are cotton and the buttons are not even close. Nor is the color for that matter.

Sounds as if you have a pair of shorts from the early 70's. I have pants and shorts from the late 70's where the buttons are identical saucer shape and have Boy Scouts of America on the "rim" along with the the metal closure that says talon just like yours do.

edited part: my shorts have no rear pocket flap but the pants do(This message has been edited by ljnrsu)

Hmmmmm, ljnrsu, you may be right. I must have some photos from that era someplace. I have handbooks from that period, but they didn't use photos, just drawings and the details of uniforms are hard to make out.

Well, problem solved. I did a search on eBay - should have thought of that first - and turned up a couple of pair identical to these which are advertised as 1970's vintage.

Thanks for all the input. :)