Centennial Quality Unit Patch

I have found that the new Centennial Quality Unit patches do not hold

up to dry cleaning. After getting them back today I noticed that the

inset oval with the centennial logo was missing. Apparently, there is

a quality issue with these patches.

If anyone else dry cleans theirs, you may may want to attach them with Velcro as a few people in our troop have been doing with some of their frequently changing patches and badges.

Have others seen this problem? Does anyone else dry clean their uniforms? I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on the general advantages and disadvantages to dry cleaning verses normal washing of "class A" uniform shirts.

Also, if anyone has washed their uniforms since adding the new QU patch, please reply with whether they hold up well to that.

Thanks.

Greetings david.self,

We dont dry clean our uniforms at my house; they have held well in the washer. I suppose the greatest advantage is that its a lot cheaper!

Shortly after putting the Centennial Quality Unit patch on my Webelos II sons uniform shirt it was necessary to wash it (he spilt tea all over it). It was dried in an electric dryer. The patch came out intact.

YIS

Mike

I just started out dry cleaning them when we first began scouts because I just thought it would be easier on them. I only get them cleaned about once a month or so and only at the $1.89 (formerly $1.75) cleaners. It's just annoying that they'd come out with these fancy-shmancy patches that don't hold up.

Does no one else dry clean theirs? Anyone?

Dry clean? Nope. Never. Just throw them in the washing machine. They look fine. I need to because I'll come back from a camping trip with smelly/sweaty clothes and need to have them clean for a meeting a day or two later. So I load up my washer on Sunday when I get home.

I know DEs who have their uniforms professionally laundered. This service is usually provided by a dry-cleaner, but uses commerical washers/dryers, not dry cleaning fluid. The dry cleaners have professional ironing equipment that makes the shirts come out looking beautiful.

Personally, I wash mine. When I want to look great, I starch my shirt when I iron it. Spray starch does a great job.

Dry cleaned or laundered?

I get my cotton shirt laundered with heavy starch and a military press. My oldest shirt is nearly 10 years old and still holding up well.

Even though the poly-wool shirt is washer safe, I have it dry-cleaned.