How to wear it

In the thread I spun this from, the following comment was made:

"You are correct, I never judge a scout by what he wears or how he wears it."

I wanted discuss this further, because I think it's important. Not the judging part, but the how to wear it part. The context of the comment was with regard to baggy pants and crooked hats, which I would agree are minor.

However, my question is in regards to proper wearing of the uniform. The context: our troop requires Scouts to be in uniform when on the road, which includes to and from summer camp, which was last week. This means shirt, pants, and belt in our troop. No neckerchiefs, as "the boys will lose them." So, we rendevous at Burger King, and a number of boys have their uniform shirts unbuttoned and untucked. As a couple of them walked past me, (both Star rank, one an ASPL) I quietly told them to get buttoned up and tucked in. When I turned a few moments later to see if they were complying, all I got were dirty looks and no change in appearance. The same comment to another ASPL a few minutes later just brought complaints that it was too hot. However, a similar comment a little later to an 11-year old resulted in immediate buttoning and tucking. Then on the way home, another rendevous at A&W. As I entered, our SPL, unbuttoned and untucked, was being quietly talked to by the SM of another troop, whom I knew because he was on staff when I went through SM specific and Outdoor Skills training. The gist of his comments was to wear the uniform buttoned up and tucked in or not at all. I agree, and was somewhat embarrassed that our SPL should need to hear this from someone outside our troop.

So, am I being obsessive compulsive about this, or should I suggest to our SM that it's time for a Scoutmaster Minute on wearing the uniform correctly?

Well, I will only add this.

My first exposure to traveling with proper uniform et al was when I attended the 1981 National Scout Jamboree. That is were I learned the terms 'class A', 'class B', etc. All 'council' level scouting trips from then on, in councils I've dealt with (OA sectional events, jambo, high adventure, etc etc) have all followed this. (I had never heard this before in my troop, but after this my troop pretty much followed this).

Neckerchiefs, for the most part, aren't very popular in my area. Most don't wear them, unless they are required to. For me, its been the couple times at Jambo I was required to wear them, and as required for Wood Badge.

We always traveled in 'class B' (what most now call 'field uniform'). For those who don't know, this is:

* Scout shorts (long pants not acceptable)

* scout-related t-shirt

* scout belt (web or leather, either fine)

* scout socks

We would wear these will on the bus, in the vehicles, etc.

Once we got off (for a meal, do touring, arriving at destination, etc), we put on our scout uniform shirts (which we had hanging nearby) thus 'transforming' into a 'class A' (aka 'full uniform'). Shirts were to buttoned and tucked in. unbuttoned/untucked shirts were not acceptable. We (the youth) understood this. All the youth I've dealt with since then understand this, and we've never had a problem with this. Most of the kids have been involved long enough that they really don't have to be told to get into class a, they know they need to. end of story.

(now, on a related note, I AM annoyed by all the kids I see now a days who don't seem to understand how to wear the web belt properly or a neckerchief. who the heck is teaching these kids this stuff...)