Question, fem. leader uniform & temp patch

I'm hoping you folks can steer me in the right direction on this one. I sure don't want to wear accoutrements on the uniform incorrectly, especially in front of youth!

On my Cub leader uniform (khaki) I wear a temporary patch above the pocket. The patch is an Iraqi Scouts patch, one I wear proudly as I am very involved with that. According to the female inspection sheet,

"Cub Scout Leaders may wear one temporary insignia centered between the right shoulder seam and the BSA strip, above the pocket. Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders may wear one temporary insignia centered on the pocket."

Being that this uniform holds blue epaulets, I thought I was good to go with the patch above the pocket. I was told otherwise... well, harangued pretty heavily by a National fellow who was quite insistant that only a National Jamboree patch could be worn there. I know that's true if the epaulets are any other color, but I thought the sheet was pretty clear about female Cub leader uniforms.

um, help please? Do I need to move that patch?

Oh, also... I've heard from a few that one can only wear a temp patch for 90 days. Is that indeed a fact, or not?

Thanks!!!

I am not a card-holding member of the uniform police, so I can't advise you as to whether you are correct or not, but from what you wrote, it looks okay to me.

It would be in a much better place than the ones that hang off the button, anyway! I never wear a temporary patch in the plastic "hanger/protector" because of where it lands after being put on the pocket button.

There is no time limit for how long you wear a temporary patch.

I always recommend to people that if a 'temporary patch' comes with a button loop, to use it and not sew it on. This makes it easy to swap out patches for different occasions. (I usually wear my Philmont Arrowhead patch, but will sometimes switch it out for other patches if I feel the situation is appropriate).

Oh, and to answer your question. A lot of scouters (including National people. was he a volunteer or a professional?) aren't aware that female Cub Scout leaders wear their temporary patch above the right pocket. Now, I thought that was ONLY true on the yellow blouse, but the inspection sheet doesn't say that, so I guess it doesn't matter if its tan or yellow.

The uniform inspection sheet for female adult leaders is correct. A temp patch may be worn above the right pocket. Interestingly, a male leader may wear only the Jamboree patch above the right pocket.

Any registered adult may wear the uniform from day one, earned temp patches included. There is no 90 day restriction. Asking that person to point out in the book where that is written usually ends the discussion. Either you learn something you didn't know, or the other person learns another myth is debunked.

This type of question is one of the reasons I enjoy this forum. It has helped me learn that I have been wearing my National Camping School patch in the wrong place on my uniform for years. I went to camping school and got the patch while I was a Cub Leader and correctly sewed it above the pocket (as female CUB leaders are allowed to do).

Never even thought about it after that. Didn't know that once I took off those blue shoulder loops and put on the red, I should have removed the patch or at least moved it to the pocket.

Oops....staring around the corners in case the UP are there....

Thanks featherbear for asking the question.

Thanks all of you, that was helpful indeed. :)

That patch has no buttonloop, but it's not something I ever want to take off. I'm active with the Iraqi Scouting Movement, and at least from my perspective, that patch says as much. It gives me a chance to tell folks about the program when they see it and ask.

As for the National fellow, he's a paid Scouter, and he's been active *forever*... so who knows, maybe the rules have changed since last time he checked? ;)

Anyhow, thanks so much for the clarification.

YIS

My two cents:

After what I saw of the National staff at the Jamboree, I would not put too much credence in what they think, say or do.

Also, as you are a volunteer, I suggest that in the future when you are accosted by the Uniform Police, you ask that any fines for your violation(s) be withheld from your BSA paycheck.

-Oren

ROFL!!

I like that response, orennoah.

He rattled my cage with the way he got right up in my face and all. But he did back off considerably when I made a comparison to some Drill Sgts. I met in Basic Training. No real foul done, I just took it for what it was.