Pants for females

Ok, I need some advice on finding pants to fit. I have some of the same problems finding pants that the lady wanting to cut pants off did. Except I have very female figure.. small waist and larger derriere (thats back side for your men).. most pants I have tried (scout and non-scout) are too big in the waist when they fit elsewhere. I did try my son's tentmate from Jamboree's shorts (they came home here by accident) and the jambo shorts (old-style) with elastic were a fair fit. His were 36's and were a tad tight in rear, but fit in waist. I have a pair of olive green trouser-style pants I have had for years that I wear for meeting, but they have faded until they are almost not green anymore. I skip the issue by wearing skirt for some meetings and more formal occasions, but that just doesn't work for a weekend of camping the rain. Our local scout shop carries almost no clothes, other than shirts and socks and I live in a somewhat rural area (not lots of shopping locally). Does anybody have any suggestions for pants to fit a female's curves?

ok guys.. I know you are laughing but I really would like to be in proper uniform when I go to Woodbadge this spring.

Vive la difference. There use to be a reason that men would wear trousers and women dresses. It seems to be lost on most now. I saw a few BSA skirts at Jambo this year and thought they looked superb. They are made out of the same material as the pants/shorts.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I have the same problem. Espcially with the shirts. If they fit in the shoulders they won't button in the front. For the pants I buy a larger size and take in the waist. You can have them "made to order" but it chaps me to have to pay to have the pants made when I can make them myself. I know what is involved into getting a good fit and believe me you can't do it by mail.

Unlike Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts do not offer a package where you can get the pattern, material and all the snaps. My mother was tiny and she made her GS uniform. She was wearing a 0-2 before it was the fashion. She was also 4'9" tall.

thanks Lynda,

Are the pants made where I can take up 5-6 inches in waist? Or will I be re-making them? My shirt is a little big in shoulders, but I did tailor it down some, so I don't look like I have on a tent (especially around waist). Tailored it like a lady's blouse from the 50's-60's. I guess I just am shaped for the wrong era.

I would love to be able to buy green Boy Scout fabric. I might could actually get pants to fit. Our local fabric store still sells GS fabric (even all the new uniform colors).

• 4 weeks later...

BSA pants are definitely not made for women...especially women who have had children!! I have the same problem..what fits me in the waste is too tight across the hips! I put my Class A pants on to go to an Eagle BoR last week and they felt like they were going to rip before the night was over!! (I hadn't had them on in a while) In our troop, we allow boys and adults to wear anything that "looks" like BSA pants (olive colored) that they can wear for normal meetings if they choose. We do encourage them though to have a pair of Official pants to wear for CoH's and BoR's etc.

Sue M.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am missing something but isn't this the reason there are tailors?

It would seem to me that you would order female pants from the BSA catalog and then take them to a tailor to have them fine tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies to our female scouters. It is somewhat disconcerting that when women moved into more and more leadership positions in scouting, the makers of scouting attire didn't seem to notice that men's bodies and women's bodies are different! Of all the women in my previous council, only one felt good about the fit and her appearance in the standard green slacks. Tailors are okay, but add an awful lot of expense, especially when you are effectively re-sewing and redesigning the pants from scratch to make them fit.

Are they still making the cullotes for women scouters? For non-Wood Badge activities, that would seem to be a good alternative since they were tailored for women in the first place.

"...the makers of scouting attire didn't seem to notice that men's bodies and women's bodies are different!"

BSA offers uniforms designed and sized for women including pants, shorts, blouses, culottes, and skirts. Culottes for example come in sizes from 6-18, and waist sizes from 34-54. If that doesn't work there are custom made-to-measure sizes. Refer to the catalog, web site.