Scout Jackets

I think it is time for the BSA to really think about jackets.

The BSA has light jackets, the red wool shirt-jac, and some other jackets.

Rather than totally separate jackets, I think that a component system consisting of a light jacket, and perhaps the wool shirt-jac, and then a wind/rain resistance nylon jacket with a hood that can be rolled inside the collar would be great.

This supports the concept of layering and the components could be purchased separately according to need.

While I have both a light BSA jacket and a red wool shirt-jac, I seldom wear them.

Instead, I have a hooded zippered sweat jacket, a lightweight zippered fleece jacket, and a nylon wind/rainbreaker with a hood that stows inside the collar when not needed (I wear a wool or polypropylene knit cap with this if it is really cold). I bought them all in forest green which looks pretty good with the BSA uniform. I can wear any of the components as needed. I was in a near blizzard with temperatures in the 20s with a pretty good wind chill last winter wearing this setup and was very comfortable. It all packs and wears well, is lightweight, easy to clean, holds up well and the whole works cost less than $50.

You could just as easily use the red wool shirt-jac covered by a wind/rainbreaker jacket. But that shirt-jac is about $100 - far out of reach of many.

I am wondering how many of you all would like to see the BSA develop a layered component jacket system - possible using existing or altered BSA jackets - or by developing and fielding new componets over time?

Thanks.

I too would love to see it.

I have been experimenting with army surplus coats (OD and grey no camo) for scout use. They are cheap and adds uniformity during the winter months. Problem is availibility and getting small sizes.

I love the wool jack shirt but its cost prevents most boys from owning one. If the BSA could develop a layering jacket system in neutral colors (ie red, green, grey, but please no yellow) that would be great. This way my son woun't go to school on Monday with his heavy coat smelling like smoke.

Great idea, but what about cost? What BSA already offers is rather high, but the idea is very appealing.

BP--I had to laugh at the going to school smelling like smoke comment. When our son earned his Fireman Chit, he was given permission to build a fire circle, and we don't just have smokey smelling coats on Mondays any longer :)

As for cost of a BSA layeing system for jackets:

There either one of two or both approaches:

1. Make available relatively low cost jacket components: Such as a zippered and hooded sweat jacket, a zippered fleece jacket and a nylon wind/rain breaker with a hood that stows in the collar of the collar. Like I mentioned in my original message, these components could be had for $50 or less - IF they do the right deal.

2. Go with a more expensive component system with a fleece type liner with a weather proof hooded wind/rain parka. These can be very expensive - at least according to similar systems that I see at sporting goods stores. Somce of those systems run over $300.

Obviously option 1 will suffice for most of us in Scouting.