Friendship Knots

Speaking of "uniform"... What about Friendship Knots? As long as I have been in Scouting, Friendship kKots have been given by various people for various things. Most wear them hanging from the right shirt pocket button. I find no reference to them in the uniform and insignia guide either. But nearly everyone I know in Scouting either currently wears one or has worn one.

In our council, even the leather thong for the Wood Badge beads has a Friendship Knot tied in it.

Does anyone know when/where the tradition of Friendship Knots started?

Also, does anyone have instructions for tying a double strand Friendship Knot?

Thanks.

Owl62

Bob,

I am feeling fine - how are you.

A link was provided showing how to tie a single strand Friendship Knot - not a double strand. I am now looking for instructions to tie a double strand Friendship Knot.

And I am still looking for any information on when/where the giving of Friendship Knots may have started.

Thanks.

Hi Owl, I'm fine thanks. The link says that is the two strand knot. The single strand is the called the Turks Head and is often used as a neckerchief slide.

Good luck tracking the knots scouting origin. It is a sailors knot and there have been sailors in scouting for quite some time. My WB lanyard was tied by my coach/counselor into such a knot 24 years ago.

In Ashley's Book of Knots it is listed as a Bo'sun's Whistle knot (it also has the names Pipe Lanyard, Sailor's Knife Lanyard, Marlingspike Lanyard, and Single-Strand Diamond knot,illustration #787) based on the Carrick Bend with the ends tucked back through the center of the knot. Doubling the knot to two strands is more difficult (#788) and looks like a major jumble of twine until it is carefully drawn up and adjusted. But once you have learned the method and tied a few of them it isn't too hard and my 10 year old son has already learned it from me. We used one of these knots as a "button" for a decorative and secure way to attach the upper end of his acoustic guitar strap. When it is doubled it does have a kind of a woggle-looking nature, but here in San Diego I have never seen any of these hanging on a uniform pocket button, and I have not heard of the tradition.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

KA6BSA,

Hmm. Thanks for your post.

I have seen Friendship Knots given and displayed from the uniform shirt pocket button in several different councils for over 20 years. They are very common in the south and midwest. I have never been to CA so I can't speak for the custom there. Just about every course and activity I have attended for years have involved them. I just got another at a local Scout leader training course, and I just gave out 4 of them to 4 new Boy Scouts in my unit.

I like them because they are a very personal token of friendship - especially if the giver tied it themselves.

Do you have any instructions for the double strand version?

Thanks.

Owl.