Old Merit Badge

Does anyone know what the BSA patch from the 50's that looks like a bullseye was for? It is not archery. It is two red concentric circles around a red dot and on a white background. Thank you very much. Or is someone knows of a site I haven't found (ebay actually was best so far) that explains with pictures what all of them are for.

Marksmanship - at that time scouts could only shooting was with a .22.

I relcevied this MB in '64, I think it was changed to rifle shooting.Then shotgun shooting was added. Scout would shoot Moskeet with .22 shot.

That is small clay birds that would only fly 25' - 50'.

• 1 month later...

The merit badge you described remained the same in appearance into the next couple of decades. I was not in Scouting in the 50's, however from the early 70's to the late 80's (when I was) the merit badge you described was "Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge". I earned it first, then later taught it.

I tought the merit badge course at D-A Scout Ranch in Metamora, Michigan for Detroit Area Council BSA. It included both areas of rifle (.22 cal) and shotgun (20 ga.), shooting skills, knowledge, safety, and respect.

Today, I believe BSA has divided the merit badge into distinct shooting activities rifle/shotgun. Because there was so much to cover and different skills were necessary. (A good idea)

• 2 months later...