Uniform inspections?

No, I don't mean, "Everyone line up and we'll see if your gig line is straight!" I mean inspected like Haynes "Inspected by No. 11"

In my small circle of Scouting associates, I know four people who have bought uniform parts that were seriously defective.

One bought a pair of trousers that have the seams crooked so wearing them is uncomfortable to say the least.

Another bought a shirt on which the buttons and button holes didn't line up.

A third has a shirt that is different colors front and back.

The fouth has an expedition hat that had the crown formed about 15 degress to the left of the centerline of the brim.

Sure, all of these items can be returned for exchange or refund but they shouldn't have to be returned.

Anyone else get any bad uniform items or are we just lucky around here?

I bought a Lands End shirt which had a button hole drilled in the wrong place. I bought a Bill Blass blazer that had the lining sewn incorrectly. I had a pair of Dockers where one pocket wasn't sewn pocket. I don't expect the store or the warehouse to inspect every piece. I just expect them to exchange them when a problem is found and they all did. The mistakes were with the manufacturer.

When you understand that that these companies turn out millions of pieces each every year it is inconceivable that they will be 100% defect free. The many companies that produce scout apparel are no different.

You say you "shouldn't have to return them", why is that? Do you really think that every item from every vendor can be manufactured defect free? Do you think that the BSA can inspect every individual item that arrives at a warehouse.

I am willing to bet youre looking for a way to qualify your complaint about the quality of the uniform by sighting a smattering of manufacturing errors. Any store that carries a variety of items by a variety of vendors gets returns each and every day the BSA is no different.

Quality manufacturers inspect every item, that's why you find "irregulars" at outlet malls, Marshall's and the like.

I cannot recall having bought any item of clothing that was identified as "first quality" that had a manufacturing defect. I'm thinking hard. No mismatched pockets. No buttons in the wrongs places. No . . . wait . . .I'm wrong, I did buy a t-shirt from a street vendor at a fair that that the image printed on a bit crooked.

Maybe I shop at better stores than you do. I guess that must be the case, you can't get any better than Brooks Brothers and Wal-Mart.

I hope those Dockers were bought BEFORE Levi-Strauss dropped their support of BSA.

Yaworski, I think you just lucky.

I can't think of any clothing items I've bought with those problems even at Wal Mart or from online stores (where I can't do my own inspections until the item is delivered). I would suggest your Scouting associates find some extra time to try on items before purchasing and do a thorough in-store inspection. I know that will not catch everything, sometimes it takes a washing or some wearing to really catch the problems.

I thought I did find an "inspector" piece of paper in the Scout pants I recently bought.

Maybe someone doesn't like your council and sends all the rejects to you!

My boss drives a new Jaguar and every now and then they take it in to fix something. You would think that for that kind of money it would be error free. Oh well, she probably bought it at WalMart.

Now I understand why Yaworski is so negative, the world didn't turn out as perfect as he wanted. Yaworski, if you should ever meet the manufacturer ask why he created Sam Walton.

Hmmmm, I learned long ago to look an item over closely and try it on before I bought it. It has always worked well for me. I suspect those masochist at BSA just want to give you something else to gripe about. Isn't that why those umps and refs make the calls they do......to make the fans and players mad?

See, "Bob," you aren't paying attention again. I said that the stuff that I buy at Wal-Mart hasn't given me any problems.

As for your boss's Jag, there is a difference between maintenance and manufacturing defects. Back in the 70's my father bought a new Ford and none of the doors were true. That's a manufacturing defect. If you take a car in for a front end alignment, that's maintenance.

Got it? Probably not.

"I learned long ago to look an item over closely and try it on before I bought it"

Often easier said than done. Most store frown on you opening 6 packs of skivvies to examine each pair of shorts. They also don't want you opening shirt packages and unpinning them for examination.