neckerchief problems?

We are trying to find out information about why we wear the neckerchiefs? Any ideas? I di know that there is something out there with a title of 101 things you can do with a neckerchief. Anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have a copy in my collection.

It is from the 1920's. The neckerchief has been a standard uniform piece in nearly every country since the origin of the program. Over the years it has become more ornamental that utilitarian. Most of its original purposes were related to first-aid and comfort. Today the neckerchief is used primarily for unit identification and as a display of special camps or activities the scout has taken part in. Altho still an official uniform piece, it is an option that can be determined by each unit.

Bob White

OOPS!

Let me add to my last post. The answer I gave was a boy scout view. In cubscouts the neckerchief signifies rank and is not a uniform option. The cubs may however customize their neckerchief slides. as cubs the neckerchiefs can be used for firt-aid training and blindfolds for games.

The neckerchief absorbs sweat; protects the collar of the shirt; and can be used for a signal flag, bandange, water filter, hat, and many other things.

Like many things in the original Boy Scout uniform, it served a very important purpose (the campaign hat provided shade and the uniform was designed to be worn in the field) but those purposes have been lost as the uniform was redesigned.