Does anyone have an idea/resource for building a durable fire pit? I have a couple guys working on eagle projects of outdoor gathering spots for church youth groups which include fire rings. The Scout who is furthest along proposed building a full-blown masonry fire ring using fire brick and mortar. I'm not convinced that's the best route and building something that looks good is probably beyond his skill level.

Lowe's has a backyard fire ring made of concrete keystones with a steel keeper ring. It's over $200 and I promise you the concrete block will crack. The rings at our scout camps are what looks to be sections of 24" steel pipe. They work well, but I have no idea where to get it (neither does the ranger as they are as old as the camp and well before his time.)

Since this is becoming a popular project, I'd like to be able to give the Scouts some better direction.

I do not know if this will help you, but I own a R.V. Campground for 13 years.

We used tractor tire rims for fire rings. We racked each site, and clean the fire ring, each time a camper left. The incoming camper, could move the fire ring where he want to, depending on where his R.V. or tent was on the site.

I have a cabin now. I dug a hole, put a tire rim in it, and place bricks around it. A fairly nice fire rim, at a very low cost.

We used tractor tire rims for fire rings. We racked each site, and clean the fire ring, each time a camper left. The incoming camper, could move the fire ring where he want to, depending on where his R.V. or tent was on the site.

I have a cabin now. I dug a hole, put a tire rim in it, and place bricks around it. A fairly nice fire rim, at a very low cost.