Hiking Boots - Leather or Fabric?

I am a Webelos Den Leader who's boys will be Webelos II in the fall. As is typical, our den is looking forward to camping with several Boy Scout troops and we are hoping to take several short hikes.

When making recommendations for hiking boots, should I suggest they stick to 100% leather boots, which could more easily by waterproofed? I'm guessing 100% leather boots would likely be expensive. When I was a kid - back in the 60's - we used the higher working-type boots. I would guess most use the mid-height boots these days. Or am I wrong there?

The part-fabric type are nice, and usually less expensive, but it seems the boys would have to buy the much more expensive Gortex lined models in order make them waterproof. I hear the Gortex in boots has a very limited life before they start leaking.

My thought is that the non-Gortex part-fabric boot would get soaked if walking in morning dew or wet weather.

Kenk,

Good question!

For the younger guys, I always recommend going with the cheaper fabric boots. There's just no sense in spending a lot of money on boots they're going to outgrow in a year. I did some fantastic training with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Wyoming last year and spent some time talking with their Equipment Manager about boots. He was even more negative about Gortex lining - says that's not the best application of Gortex because the friction and pressure tends to just press the water through. On the plus side, it will dry out faster than a leather liner, but it's not going to keep water out to begin with.

Another bonus of the fabric boots -- they break in much quicker.

On the downside, they don't provide quite as much protection and support. Also don't last as long, but that's not important while the feet are growing.

Have them get the fabric boots. Wear them around to get feet used to them (breaking in the feet is just as important as breaking in the boot). Give them a good coating of waterproofing silicone spray just before the hikes. And bring a couple of extra pairs of socks. Especially for beginning hikers, I will make them change socks during lunch break. A little foot powder isn't a bad idea about then, either.

Speaking of socks, I highly recommend some thick, wool or synthetic socks with a polypropylene (sp?) liner. Wear the liner next to skin - it wicks moisture away and provides a friction layer. Don't wear cotton! Cotton takes 4-5 times longer to dry out once it gets wet.

Boot fit is very important. Be sure the boys spend some time walking around the store for at least 15 minutes before they buy. Give them a "kick test" as follows: First, wear the socks they will wear with the boots for hiking. Second, lace them up good and wear them around. (There should be a little gap between the heel and the back of the boot and they should feel their heel slip a little when walking.) Finally, find a solid surface and kick it a couple of times with their toe. When they do this, their toes shouldn't slide forward and hit the front of the boot. If it does, downhill hiking is going to cause significant problems.

Happy hiking!

-mike

I'd suggest fabric boots as well, especially if you're planning on mostly shorter hikes, and not backpacking cross country. I've gone through a lot of boots in my search for the "perfect boot", and there isn't really one perfect boot. The fabric boots are generally less expensive and work well for short hikes where you're not carrying a lot. They can be spray waterproofed. Leather boots are generally more expensive, but provide better protection and better support for extended trips.

Mike F is absolutely right on with the fit test. In addition, generally, fabric boots either fit or don't, ie, they don't change much after you get them. When fabric boots start to stretch out, etc., it's usually a sign that the boot structure is starting to break down. Leather boots, do soften up a bit over time and begin to mold to your foot during the break-in period. They may feel kind of stiff when you first get them, so they require some break-in period, while fabric boots generally are how they're going to be from the start.

So, my suggestion for younger Scouts would be fabric boots.