Tour Plan technical question

So our pack had our pack campout this past weekend. I fiulled out the onliune PFD a wek or so ago.

And during the campout, or COR asked if I had a copy. I said no, because our council will send you an e-mail saying it is approved, but will not give you a hard copy unless you really insist on having it.

Having a hard copy really didn't matter to me as I have digital one.

So trhen thisb got me to thinking about our campout paticulars.

Since we were camping behind our CO - we started doing this for the first campout to make things easier for the first time campers - do we really need a tour plan?

I mean, we are at or co, and this is the same place we hold den meetings, pack meetings, cookouts, crosovers, flag retirement ceremonies, etc....

Our Co is connected to a major US hiway and in the middle of a huge (but unincorporated) town, The FD is about 1 block away. EMS is about 1/10th of a mile away.

We were at the back of our CO's property and other than sleepoing in the tents, it was just a big long outdoor scout activity.

Now, don;t get me wrong, I will fill out the TP every time we camp, even if it's inside our CO...but I was wondering, since the milage on the TP was 0 , and there was no driving, there ws no destination, and to and from were the exact same place ...which is alos were we meet every week...would it even be necessary for a TP?

Not challenging...just wondering out of curiousity.

Depends on your council.

Here's what ours says. The last sentence would apply to you if you were in our council. Note also that the whole thing about "official scouting events" is completely false, IMHO, and Council is way off base on that one.

Note also that this policy means that we need a Tour Plan (for example) when a few scouts are going to Roundtable to help with recruiting, or pretty much anything other than a normal meeting.

"The Risk Management committee of our council determined that a tour plan is required for all outings, regardless of distance or length of time.

BSA insurance covers only registered volunteers and Scouts for official Scouting events. Injury claimants have been denied coverage because

there was no paper trail to prove that an activity was a Scouting outing. An approved, filed tour plan makes your event an official Scouting event.

Regular den, pack, troop, team, or crew meetings at normal meeting locations are considered official Scouting events and do not require tour plans.

An overnight trip always requires a tour plan, even if it is being held at your normal meeting location."

depends on your council

The only time we need a tour plan, according to council, is when we leave the council boundaries or participate in high adventure such as rapelling or canoeing.

I have filed a number of of TP's and they all get returned by email saying that a TP is not needed for activities with in the Council boundaries.

Far as a hard copy goes, I would print the email returned to you by council and carry it with you. I do this even for the events that do not require a TP.