How many sleeping bags?

I didn't buy them, so I don't know the ratings,

I just know that I have to boot them around in my garage from time to time.

Yah, hmmmmm....

Yeh know, Engineer61, that's a mighty big chip you're carryin' on your shoulder, eh?

So let me tell yeh, one father to another. Yeh have to get over it if you're goin' to have a successful relationship with your wife's child, or ever come close to being his "dad."

Kids are interested in what kids are interested in, eh? Only a small fraction of kids are interested in the same things their parents are. If yeh try to force 'em to be like you in interest or career or whatnot, all yeh get is unhappiness. Rebellion. Maybe depression and drug use. Same as if yeh give 'em too much freedom or show too little interest.

If instead yeh support 'em in their own interest, and show a real interest and concern, even stretch yourself a bit to pretend to "get it" just because they're interested, then yeh can build that relationship. And eventually, your kids will do the same by stretching themselves to share your interests a bit.

And don't fool yourself by thinkin' "Well, when he's around I show interest". Kids see through us like we're glass. They can pick up on our attitudes even when we think otherwise.

Now it could be that yeh don't want a relationship with your wife's son, or that your attitude even reflects that you resent that he came along with the package. I suspect that's likely, even, given your resentful comments about "paying" for the lad. In that case, well, there's not much to say, eh? It doesn't strike me as a happy way to live and I'd encourage counseling, but it's a choice. Just don't expect those of us who like kids so much that we volunteer our time for kids that aren't our own to understand or sympathize with yeh.

As to sleeping bags, I have 3. A lightweight 32 degree synthetic that I use when it's above 45, a down 10 degree bag with that funky weatherproof coating, and a deep-cold down -30 degree bag. That seems to cover da range really well. Of course when yeh get real cold yeh also need to double-up on ground pads. My old bones have really taken to the new Big Agnes style inflatables.

Beavah

I've got three, more or less.

One for cold weather. It's a zero-degree bag with about a foot of down on top of the feet.

One for cool weather that serves as the main bag for most trips. It was originally a 10-degree bag, but I'm sure it's more like a 20 or 25 degree bag by now.

One for warm/hot weather. It's a forty-degree down bag that packs down to a baseball. I thought about doing the 50-degree bag, but for the extra ounce of down, I went with the forty-degree bag.