Camp La-No-Che in FLorida

Our Troop is considering attending Camp La-N-Che in Paisley, FL. It would be an out of Council camp for us and I would like input from any Scouters that have an experience there. The website looks awesome and it looks like they have some great programs.

Last year we drove 7 hours to get to the summer camp, with the price of gas we would like to pare down the transportation costs and choose a camp much closer to home. Also, it would be a plus that some of the families might actually be able to go to family night.

Thanks in advance for yout comments,

Dawn M

Troop 85 Secretary

I know Camp La-No-Che by reputation only. One of the ASMs in our troop grew up there and speaks very highly of it. But I do not believe he has been there since the 1980s. I have had contact with the staff regarding some Winter activities, and the professionals have been most helpful. Sorry I cannot offer more.

Lots of info at http://www.camplanoche.com/.

It's a good camp in a great old Florida setting. One warning: it is very hot in summer. However, I note you are Floridians so you should be able to tolerate it. :) They do have an air conditioned dining hall which is a major asset.

I'm in the council, but don't ever go to camp, but what I hear from the units who do (and the 2 Scouts across the street) is pretty favorable.

Our troop went to La No Che this past summer a great time was had by all. The campsites are mostly shady and the leaders quarters are under roof with real mattresses bring a pad and a sheet ceiling fan provided. All the program areas were well run. They have a particularly excellent Native American program so Indian Lore and American Cultures are a blast. Shooting sports eat two slots and are a bit pricey. They offer water skiing several of our boys availed themselves of that. The biggest hit by far was fountain soda in the dining room. The first day we had boys trying to buy soda on the way in fortunately the spies in the group had already seen the fountains through the window. The food was not outstanding (gourmet wise) but it was kid friendly. We had two do lifeguard and they help with the early am mile swim which is actually in the lake not the pool.