A while ago I remember coming across a document online that had a comprehensive list of how much of what food made good portions. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this (or another similar) file?

I know that the National Outdoor Leadership School or Outward Bound or someone had a 'generic' menu using so many pounds of various raw products, if that is what you are looking for.

A lot of backpacking cooking books have food charts that might help- but most of them go more by calories than portion size.

Maybe if you let us know why you want it we can help you better? (Trying to go ultralight backpacking, etc.)

I'm looking for this for my new Venturing Crew. while a couple of us are also boy scouts, most of the crew has no idea what size portions you should make (everything from how many loafs of bread for sandwhiches, to how many pounds of pasta for spaghetti dinner and everything in between).

For a Venture Crew, I highly recommend getting a copy of "NOLS Cookery", edited by Claudia Pearson.

They don't use pre-packaged meals at all. Crews carry bulk food, like noodles, dried beans, tomato powder, butter, cheese, flour, etc. I went on NOLS trip in 2004 and it's amazing all the great food you can whip up with minimal equipment, some imagination, and maybe their cookbook to get you started.

The first chapter of the book is on rations planning. Everything is based on dry food pounds per person per day (ppppd). Quick summary follows:

1.5 ppppd for warm conditions, base camping, short trips (2500-3000 calories/day)

1.75-2 ppppd if cool nights or hiking with full packs. For longer trips when appetites really kick in, edge it toward the high end. (3000-3500 cal/day)

2-2.25 ppppd for hiking/skiing with full packs, cool days, cold nights. (3500-4500 cal/day)

2.5 ppppd for cold days and very cold nights, skiing with full packs or sleds in mountains. Used for extremely strenuous days. (4500-5000 cal/day)

Having said all that, I wouldn't sweat it too much when getting started with crew. Just get them out in the woods and make sure they have a bit more food than they think they'll need to get started. As they gain experience on the weekend trips, they'll get a feel for it. Then plan to add more as weather gets colder and they get more ambitious. Heck, if this crowd doesn't know how much food they eat, maybe you can have some fun by having them cook a spaghetti dinner for your next meeting!

Cheers!

-mike